Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Cool. It is in the location for speed control, just did not look like the actuator.

I believe the vendor for speed control was Dana or Perfect Circle.

I have at least 3 of those actuators for my Lincolns. I am like you. I have accumulated pieces just missing some parts to get it functioning.

Action

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
In the last week I got a complete non-working speed control system for my Mark III. With all of the wiring and speedo cables.

Action

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Before working on this car I didn't even know they had cruise control, electric windows and power locks.
Cc has another box on the firewall with the spedo cable going in an out of it, and a bellows device under the dash with chains going to the gas pedal. Of course vacuum lines every where.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
For LM the bellows is under the hood.

All of the cars listed below (except the LTD) have PS, PB, AC, AM/FM, clock, power windows, 6 way power seats and vacuum power door locks.

All 4 cars have the largest engine available. Only the LTD were there other engine choices. The other 3 came equipped with only one engine.

I will shoot some pics of the speed control.
As a side note on the name of the system. This is a GM versus Ford thing

GM called their system cruise control. They came out with it first in Cadillac and Olds. Maybe Buick too. This was in the late 1950s

Ford not to be out done came out with the system and called it speed control.

Both companies used vendors to supply the system. Dana or Perfect Circle, not sure which. For FLM the systems were slightly different for each division.

Then the 1969 model year came out and Ford designed their own system for full sized Ford and Mercury. Called Finger Tip Speed Control. Lincoln did not get that system until 1972. It was a far superior system to any on the market. Got industry awards and is basically the same system that is used on cars today. For all manufacturers because the patent has run out.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Fastmerc
I put a message on your member page. I don't think it's what you ment by ping you.
Do you have a picture of that clutch?
Thank you,
Kelly

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
With everyone's information we were able to find a rebuilt ac clutch and brush set out of TX.
We mauked it up today with a York compressor and everything lines up.
Now to find a good ac shop that can make us some hoses.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
You may have to go to Kansas City.
And a place like this is what you want.
Calling first would be good.

https://www.kchydraulics.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 44832

We are looking for which ac clutch and compressor came on a 66 galaxie 500 7 litre with factory air. We know it is a single belt clutch we need. We are looking at one from a 63 tbird but don't know what engine it came off of. It's compressor # is c3sa-2875-b. Would this work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a factory ac compressor with clutch and a good condenser also off of a 68 galaxie 390 if interested

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Jrv
Thanks for the offer. We found a rebuilt clutch and brush set that lined up with the other pulleys and
the compressor we picked up.

Actually found a local shop that says they can make our hoses.
Now for the other replaceables, I found a source for the drier but still a little confused on the expansion valve. Two places I have found expansion valves one says it's for the hang on systemail the other says for the factory system but they both look the same. Would both work or are the intetnals different?
Here is what ours looks like.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
The expansion valves will look similar. Not really any different internally. It would be the connections and threads I believe.
The picture looks like an integral or factory.

Which does your car have, integral (factory) or hang on?
Also note a hang on can be Ford dealer installed or aftermarket.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited by Moderator)
20200610_145325.jpg
2020-06-14 13.39.46.jpg
It has the factory ac. Here is a close up of the numbers on the one still on the car and a picture of the new one that's available. I think there might be another fitting to still remove from the one on the car that might make the threads simmiler. The new one seems to have smaller threads on one side. But if we have to have custom hoses made anyway that should work right???!!!.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Thanks for the effort on getting the numbers. However they mean very little. They may be date codes or vendor codes.

The expansion valve has:
A hose to one end
Threads into the Evaporator
May or may not have a site glass
And has a temp sensing bulb

The function is to restrict the flow into the evaporator based on the temp of the evaporator.

>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
The Ford part number for integral AC (also called Deluxe AC) is C5AZ 19849 A
With a note that says it includes a site glass
Fits 1965 to 1968 Full sized Ford and Mercury
Motorcraft/Autolite number is YG 25

The Ford part number for hang on AC is C9ZZ 19849 A
Fits 1965 to 1971 All models
Motorcraft/Autolite number is YG 30

Action

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
Looking at the picture
The 2E -016 is very likely a date code
2 would be the year (1972?)
E is the month May
016 is the day or the 16th of the month

This is not positive but it does kind of fit the format.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello,

The factory expansion valve on the 65-68 full size utilize a check valve in the liquid line. That's what screws onto the high pressure liquid line side of the expansion valve then the liquid line screws onto the check valve with its own unique fitting. The A/C shop will probably have a hard time finding the hose fitting to make a new liquid line. There is another possibility aside from just reusing your old liquid line. The similar year Ford Mustang with factory air con uses a similar expansion valve without the check valve and has the 45˚ flare on either side for a standard hose fitting that can be had at any air con shop.

A couple caveats are the Mustang expansion valve does NOT have the sight glass built in. However you can just add one to the liquid line hose itself as a crimp on fitting or find a screw on one that goes between the condenser outlet and the new liquid line.

You'll want the sight glass especially if you're converting to R134a. I would strongly encourage the use of Ester oil as it's much more compatible with mineral oil in case there are still traces of it in the old condenser, evaporator or your replacement York 210.

Here's some pictures if you're interested on a '66 update to R134a and all new hoses, expansion valve, receiver drier and brand new York 210.

aircon_4.jpg

I added a screw on sight glass fitting onto the condenser you can just see it hiding behind the high pressure hose.

aircon_2.jpg

There's the late 60's Mustang expansion valve.

aircon_3.jpg

Of course you want the thermal bulb insulated from engine bay heat properly.

aircon_5.jpg

This is with the car sitting in 90+ degrees sun with the windows all down and the blower on high at idle. Yuppers blows nice and cold under worst case conditions with R134a.

aircon_1.jpg

I bought this kit which allowed me to make all my own hoses at home. Pretty easy actually. That way I could be meticulous about hose fitment and placement rather than leave it up to some kid who doesn't care and just wants the job done.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited by Moderator)
20200610_145318.jpg
Great looking engine compartment.
Here is a larger picture of what's left on the car (hoses long gone). Is the check valve in long section that can be unscrewed off the old and put on the new valve I posted above?
If we go the Mustang route do we need a check vavle?
I like what you dido with the sight glass.

·
Registered
578 Posts
View attachment 45234 Great looking engine compartment.
Here is a larger picture of what's left on the car (hoses long gone). Is the check valve in long section that can be unscrewed off the old and put on the new valve I posted above?
If we go the Mustang route do we need a check vavle?
I like what you dido with the sight glass.
Hello Fig,

Thank you for the kind words on the engine compartment. The check valve is not needed. The check valve seems to be a Ford thing, why? Dunno. No other automotive maker air con system I've laid eyes on has them. I think Ford used the check valve on and off on certain models into the 80's. I've seen them on some 80's Ford trucks.

I tried researching why they did use it and I have yet to find a concrete answer. The closest bit of information I found is on large commercial units that sometimes on parallel row condensers they might use a check valve, but they didn't explain why.

If anyone concretely knows the answer I would love to find out, so please comment on this.

To answer your question, yuppers the check valve is the bit that is screwed onto your valve in your picture.

The sight glass right by the compressor was a nice feature opposed to having to look way in the back as the maximum charge is best administered by use of sight glass, especially when converting over to a different refrigerant.

If you don't have the original liquid line you just may have to go the Mustang expansion valve route. They are about 120 dollars new.

hose1.jpg

These are the original hoses, the long skinny one is the liquid line.

Good luck with your project!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 60 Posts