Feelin' a little shaky | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Feelin' a little shaky

Discussion in 'Brakes, Steering & Suspension' started by bradleyheathhays, Mar 2, 2020.

1. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

I've got an '02 Ford Taurus with 99k miles that's got something loose in the front end but I'm not entirely sure what it is. When under moderate to hard braking there's a quick shaking in the front of the car and the steering wheel jerks in sync with the shaking. Jacked up one front wheel, left the other on the ground, and sure enough the wheel moves when pushed at 3 and 9 o'clock, but not at 12 and 6.

Any advice on where to go from here?
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

How are the rack and pinion mounts?
    And the shock tower upper mounts and bushings
  3. Iowan

Iowan Well-Known Member Respected Member

And possibly warped break rotors.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Only on braking, as stated above the rotor is warped. On a car just replace the rotors. )with new pads)

Loose at 3 & 9 steering parts
    Loose at 6 & 12 are suspension or mostly wheel bearings

Action
  5. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

Wish I would have thought ahead and mentioned this before but in addition to the lateral front end shake the front rotors are indeed warped and shake the car at a different frequency than the front end wobble. The front end lateral shake is mostly only felt at speeds above 30 while the brake pulsing goes all the way down to 0. I've had a suggestion that the brake pulsing can be multiplying the lateral shaking, but either way it seems I'm having two separate issues that need to be addressed. I'll be shaving the rotors and taking it in to a front end shop soon. I wonder how open the local Goodyear mx would be to a combo price for first diagnosing my front end issues and second doing a front end alignment after I replace the worn parts?
  6. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

First of all don't turn the rotors or buy cheap ones
    Secondly Put in the parts you need and then have it aligned
    Most tire shops can get the style and brand quickly
  7. Iowan

Iowan Well-Known Member Respected Member

It's very possible to have a bad tire/tires also.
    Action likes this.
  8. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Member

Swap rear to front both tires eliminating tires. As far as warped rotors, turning them thinner they will now run hotter, i'd bet a 70% chance they'd warp again now sooner. Talking Ford here the wife got the scare "you need brake pads lady" she freaked out. They cut the snot out of the rotors which looked like only 5K miles from new perfect.They told her they turn rotors on every pad replacement. Well warped city within 100 miles when the originals had nothing wrong with them Big uneccessary bill also.
    They told her the rear shoes needed replacing also. I ordered new shoes, lookie here, the old shoes have thicker linings than the new replacements. Just did the 04 front and rear brakes.
    DO YOU OWN WORK is all I can say.
    You need to check every suspension and steering joint and find your other issue, have someone with an ounce of mechanical abilities to figure out the problem.
    Other option the dealership but bring the wheel barrel as it will be a feast on you.
    Service credits the wife had a free oil change. It was a leaker after as they must bof used an impact gun on the drain plug vs replacing the cupped plastic washer. The edge of the drain plug lip dug into the aluminum oil pan, took a breaker bar ro remove the plug. Who do you trust now? Like the half shaft botched up job under a recall or something like that farce, puking out ATF everywhere after the seal only replacement."Customer thinks there might be an oil leak". "Could be engine oil", yeah right see the thin stream of ATF flowing down the side of the tranny? Bought the 10 Escape new from them, seems they are catching up with Land Rover in quality of repairs when LR has the market on open wallet just pay stupid LR owners. Yes I own a 95 Discovery but 20 years no dealerships, DIY maintenance. Sorry had to vent.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  9. bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays Member

Right on thanks for all the good advice. Taking her in soon so we'll see.