Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed that the '09 Escape had a final drive ratio of 2.93 but the '10 Escape has a 3.51. EPA rating for a 3.0L 4WD went up 1MPG for city and down 1MPG for highway driving.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just noticed that the '09 Escape had a final drive ratio of 3.93 but the '10 Escape has a 3.51. EPA rating for a 3.0L 4WD went up 1MPG for city and down 1MPG for highway driving.
Is it the same for FWD and 4WD ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bill, I was told by one of the off-road mechanics that help build my suspension that with the stock '08 gearing, I can run 31" tires w/o any noticeable tranny or engine stress. they also informed me that if i can find out the axle gearing on the '08 auto V6 I may be able to run 32". I have been unable to find any info on the axle gearing. Where can I look to get that info, or is there a chance i misunderstood the terminology?
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is it the same for FWD and 4WD ?
Yes and this also means that a '09 6F35 transmission isn't the same as a '10. It might also be the reason that the '10 doesn't seem to have the "hooting" sound issue also or maybe it's just a bit early yet.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bill, I was told by one of the off-road mechanics that help build my suspension that with the stock '08 gearing, I can run 31" tires w/o any noticeable tranny or engine stress. they also informed me that if i can find out the axle gearing on the '08 auto V6 I may be able to run 32". I have been unable to find any info on the axle gearing. Where can I look to get that info, or is there a chance i misunderstood the terminology?
Thanks,
Phil
The gear ratio is listed under its VIN in the Ford Oasis system. PM me your VIN and I'll look it up.

I found a VIN for a used '08 on-line, it's a 2.93 also!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I don't know about the escapes in particular, but so that everyone who is interested doesn't have to PM Bill, the axle ratio is usually stamped into a metal tag attached to the rear diff.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know about the escapes in particular, but so that everyone who is interested doesn't have to PM Bill, the axle ratio is usually stamped into a metal tag attached to the rear diff.
FWD doesn't have a rear differential. Actually the axle code for a 3.51 is 35 which is on the door sticker, I think and the 2.93 has a axle code of 96.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Does 4WD have a read diff?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
what size are the axles in both of them?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does 4WD have a read diff?
Yes but a axle ratio is listed whether or not you have a 4WD or not. Ford manufactured rearends have a tag but I never noticed one on my Escape which I believe is a Dana unit.

The use of metal tags is old school. On front end 4WD truck assemblies they use barcode stickers. I'm not even sure if a gear ratio is listed in plain English on them. I've worked around them and also the metal tag press but never paid much attention to the barcode ones.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
oh. 4wd sucks anyways. doesn't matter what you have

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes and this also means that a '09 6F35 transmission isn't the same as a '10. It might also be the reason that the '10 doesn't seem to have the "hooting" sound issue also or maybe it's just a bit early yet.
Bill,

I have a 2010 and the hoot noise was one of the first things I heard and the vehicle is still hooting at 3,000 miles :thumbsup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
It could still be the " same transmission " with the only the final gearing changed .
:confused:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It could still be the " same transmission " with the only the final gearing changed .
:confused:
Sure, same case with different guts. Having a lower gear means at the same speed, the 3.51 will be at a higher RPM compared to the 2.93. I don't see how the EPA is higher for city driving with the 3.51 than the 2.93!

That's a hefty gear ratio change and I was surprised to see that change.

I thought that this higher RPM "might" change other issues but it seems that the "hoot" isn't one of them!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 3.51 gear is easier to get rolling than a 2.93 and that's why it gets better city(stop and go) mileage. The 3.51 gear multiplies torque 3.51 times versus 2.93 times on the higher gear. Try starting out in second and you'll see what I mean. Rich

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
!

The 3.51 gear is easier to get rolling than a 2.93 and that's why it gets better city(stop and go) mileage. The 3.51 gear multiplies torque 3.51 times versus 2.93 times on the higher gear. Try starting out in second and you'll see what I mean. Rich
Depending on what type of city(stop&go) driving one does, this may have been a poor choice.

There's a Ford tech in another forum that stated that they were getting 32MPG on the highway with a '10 3.0L! I questioned how they were calculating that but they never replied! That might be from the onboard dash function and not on a fillup at the pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts