Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added to the collection a 2001 E150 XL. 4.6, 2WD, 85K on the clock. I paid $2500 for it. I am the 3rd owner. The van originally belonged to Lehigh County Corrections, has bars on all the windows, no door handles in the back, and was likely a prisoner transport vehicle. I've got a bunch of Ford stuff, a few Rangers, a Grand Marquis, Bronco, F150, but this is the first van that I've pulled the trigger on. Brought it home, and I'm currently running through the maintenance on it. Fresh filters and fluids, plugs, grease job, all that fun stuff. Just had a few questions about things that I'm not real familiar with.

1st, when I drained the coolant, the stuff that came out was not the color I was expecting. My Haynes book says it takes regular green stuff in the recommended fluids section. That definitely isn't what came out. Should I just switch it to green stuff or does this need special coolant for some reason?

2nd, for the rear diff, the Haynes book calls for 80W-90 in the 8.8, but the tag on the diff says to use 75W-140. Why the discrepancy? Also, at the bottom of the page, it says," *For Traction-Lok axles add friction modifier when lubricant is changed. ... Ford 8.8 and 9.75 inch add 4 oz."
How do I tell if I need to do this or not, and where do I find it if I do need it?
Forgive me if these are dumb questions, but I've never had any of my old junk call for additives in the diff, and they all just used regular green coolant.

Any other tips or tricks are always helpful, and as always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Art

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Some of the modular engines (4.6, 5.4, 6.8 and some others) required a gold or yellow coolant. If so stick with that, it is important. The owners manual will be your guide. Don't have one ebay likely will .I have a 5.4 that requires a Gold coolant. That is all I have ever used.
Here is a link to the owner's manual
2001 Ford E-150 Owner Manuals
Looks like the green stuff for non-diesel

Rear axle lube. If yours is limited slip or Trac - Lok a friction modified is needed. Post your axle code on the warranty sticker from the driver's door post

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430 and Art5

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Some of the modular engines (4.6, 5.4, 6.8 and some others) required a gold or yellow coolant. If so stick with that, it is important. The owners manual will be your guide. Don't have one ebay likely will .I have a 5.4 that requires a Gold coolant. That is all I have ever used.
Here is a link to the owner's manual
2001 Ford E-150 Owner Manuals
Looks like the green stuff for non-diesel

Rear axle lube. If yours is limited slip or Trac - Lok a friction modified is needed. Post your axle code on the warranty sticker from the driver's door post

Action
This is what come out of the radiator drain...

Safety glove Glove Blue Wood Gas

And here is the door sticker...

Font Auto part Fur Paper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Haynes book does have an asterisk in the cooling system servicing section that reads, "Beginning in 2001, some models are equipped with red, long life coolant. Do not mix green-colored ethylene glycol coolant and red-colored coolant because doing so will damage the cooling system. Read the warning label in the engine compartment for additional information."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone ever put in one of those aftermarket trans drain plugs? I feel like every time I've had to pull a pan to change a filter it ends up being a mess. At least I put down cardboard this time. Seems like it would be smarter to install one of those to drain it down before taking the pan loose.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,397 Posts
Axle code 19 is a 3.55 ratio standard gear set. If this was a limited slip it would have a letter in the code. No friction modifier needed for this application.

Looks like red coolant or there is some issue

I have changed auto transmission fluid and fluid a couple of dozen times. I get the fluid to come out of a corner by loosening bolts such that the pan stays up until the fluid is mostly drained from the pan. Then I removed the pan. If I put in a drain plug I would be concerned about causing a leak. And pan has to come off to remove the filter.

Action

Reactions: Art5

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks like nasty, extended life coolant. Flush the entire system & it is safe to go back with the newest Ford BLUE extended coolant. It is cross-compatable too. Only use distilled water with any coolant too.

I would use 75/140 synthetic rear differential fluid & no additive.

I have installed a trans drain plug before, from Summit Racing Co. No leaks & very handy on the last drain/fill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts