Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well done. Were you able to drive it home to Michigan? Welcome to FFO.
Kevin

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!!!

Nice ride

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
That is in very nice condition based on that picture!!!!

Action

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is in very nice condition based on that picture!!!!

Action
I bought it from my father and rebuilt engine and had it repainted in 1985. Since then I had 3 girls so a little ware from them. I am going to redo the interior this winter and replace the springs. Also the ball joints like you suggested. That car is very special to my wife and I.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Very nice.

If you would be so kind as to post pictures of your interior & suspension progress that you do this winter, that would be awesome.

Action

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a base model, same color with a dark Ford blue stayfast top on it. 78k original miles, I have owned it since 2006 and put 10k on it over last 15 yrs. Very nice looking vehicle you have ... what all have you done to it?
In ’85 I rebuilt the engine, had it painted, rechromed parts and added the SS skirts. Last winter ‘21, put a duel master cylinder, replaced the brake lines, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, new shocks and replaced the tires.
This winter I am reupholstering the interior and chrome. Replacing the springs, ball joints and the stabilizer bar. I hope.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
After you get the front end tightened up, that sway bar replacement may make a significant difference.

The front bar on the Mark III in my signature line was something like 5/8" thick. I ordered a larger one and likely it was 3/4" or so. When I removed the original bar, I discovered it was hollow. Ouch! The replacement made a difference.

I have also discovered the next gen Mark (Mark IV) had a factory rear sway bar. Some a day I wanna get me one of those pieces from a donor and retro fit it to my Mark III.

Action

Reactions: Michael Rosepal

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Called a strut rod bushing.
Kind of a common replacement part. Used on FLM full sized vehicles from 1965 to 1972 at least. T-bird and Mark III for same years. And smaller cars as well.
Here is a link for a Mustang
ACP Mustang Strut Rod Bushing Kit 1965-1966 | CJ Pony Parts
Energy suspension has these in several flavors. (Rubber and poly and ???)
Ebay lists a dozen or so

Do a search for Galaxie strut rod bushings

And DesertXL has likely replaced at least 3 sets if not more and would be an excellant resource for your gen Galaxie.

Action

·
Registered
22 Posts
In ’85 I rebuilt the engine, had it painted, rechromed parts and added the SS skirts. Last winter ‘21, put a duel master cylinder, replaced the brake lines, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, new shocks and replaced the tires.
This winter I am reupholstering the interior and chrome. Replacing the springs, ball joints and the stabilizer bar. I hope.
I highly recommend ProFit Interiors out of Alabama. They bought the embossing patterns from Ford/GM/Chrysler to ensure you don't wind up with a "hybrid, near-original" interior. True, they get their interiors from another source that has as new textures and colors, but they complete the job by embossing and studding the seats as OEM.
B. Payne

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also give a big shout-out to Hotchkiss Suspension. Their parts made a HUGE difference in the amount of body roll. Sway bars front and rear that are STOUT. Car handles SO much better, but no more blvd ride.
BPayne

1 - 19 of 19 Posts