Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone out there know what was the first year was the 1980-1992 style F-600, 700, 800 had the tilt front end offered.
There is no info about the tilt front end in the 1982 service manual for those size trucks.
I have 'googled' but their info offered isn't percise.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The info you supplied, is part of what I googled. It doesn't come right out and say which 1980 to 1992 style years was the first year the tilt front was offered.
I'm trying to buy a service and parts #, manual. I want to make sure the tilt front info is in that specific manual.
As I stated, the The 1982 Medium Duty F-600, 700, 800 service manual, has no tilt front end info listed.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Not exactly sure what you mean by tilt front end.
Forward tilting hood
And there is some cab over models the entire cab tilts forward. May be not on Medium duty.

But if it is forward tilting hood you seek on that series it is fairly easy to find.
Here is that generation with rear hinged hood
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Ford-Truck-F-Series-F-600-F-700-F-800-Dealer-Sales-Brochure-NOS-0-99-Ship/352573822623?hash=item521709969f:g:ntUAAMXQhuVRSLFA

The attached picture is the same generation with forward hinged hood.
The difference is the hood strap on the rear of the hood and the seem or lack there of for the hood to fender.

Brochures would be a source.

>>>>>Action
3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
1983 to 1984 seem to be the division years for rear then front hinged hoods.

With that stated this category of trucks is not like cars. The change may have been a running change so trucks before and after a date were different. Not necessarily at a model year. In addition it would be like the company to build a number of cabs and put them into inventory waiting for orders. These were all built at the Kentucky Truck plant. And that plant also built light duty and over the road tractors.

While light duty trucks are high demand and that line would have been active for the entire model year. Medium duty and heavy duty may be not so much. So say cabs were stacked up. These would have been used up when orders came in. No matter what model year. So a 1982 cab will fit on a 1987 chassis very easily. The changes were power train, frame length and then what was installed behind the cab. Which is why you may not see precision in cab data. The cab wasn't the important part.

These type of trucks become more semi-custom depending on what the customer wanted. Unlike cars and light trucks that had definite model year changes

>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I am trying to buy a service manual, and the exploded view parts numbers manual from ebay. They need a year. I was able to talk one of them in looking. The 1982 Service Manual, and the 1983 Exploded view, parts number manuals, do 'not' cover the one piece, flip front end.
I am trying to do a conversion on a '83 F-700 from the steel hood front, to the one piece, fibergalss tilt/flip front. (ease of motor maintaince)
There are some pieces missing on the flip front core support. I do not know what is broke or missing. The 'only' way for me to find out is look at the factory, exploded view parts number manual or the factory service manual.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
It would have been easier if you stated that up front

Shop manual ….
Your 1982 shop manual is too old. Get one from much later. Like 1986. The basic cab was used for 20 years. It wasn't until later that the front tilt hood was used. The shop manual may give you pictures and some basic part numbers. But not the best source for parts. Included will be how to remove and replace and or repair.

For parts that is easy.
The 1980 to 1989 Master Parts Text and Illustration CD
For under $30 you will have illustrations AND the part numbers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1989-FORD-MEDIUM-HEAVY-DUTY-TRUCKS-600-900-MASTER-PARTS-CATALOG-MANUAL-CD/143014300135?hash=item214c5109e7:g:vioAAOSwEK9Tuhln

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Again in that truck line publications (shop manuals) have a focus on the job not cosmetics. If the front tilt hood was a running change, the shop manual would have been printed BEFORE the trucks were available. There would be a supplement or a TSB on the change on hoods. It may not be until model year 1984 that the data you seek would be in the shop manual.

Other wise the shop manuals focus on the powertrain and mechanicals.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU!
The reason I didn't explain 'why', or 'what' I was doing. There is no provision for 'big' trucks on this web site. Some vehicle web sites are gestapo tight on their rules. I didn't want to take a chance of getting kicked off because "I didn't follow the rules". So I ask a possible 'off topic' subject question in the form of a 'trivia question'. Anyway.
Now, since you seem to the "Einestine" and have all the answers. Let me ask one more.
I have to get the radiator re-cored (large amount of $$) I had 'this happen to me in the past. 2 times before, I needed to re-core rather expensive to 'very' expensive radiators. I lucked out and found where vehicles had been junked, that had recently had re-cored radiators. One I got at junk price, the other 3/4 less than what the re-core would cost. Well could it happen for the 3rd time? So I google and start looking. Nothing around here locally. I went ahead and looked at the big and bigger 'truck' salvage yards that google listed out west and in the mid west. Just to see what they were selling for, compaired to re-core here next town over. By the time I'd pay shipping, I'd be farther ahead to get mine re-cored then I'd know exactly what I would have.
It's how these places listed their radiators that has me concerned.
Only 1 or 2 listed a year. They ALL listed if the radiator had a AT trans cooler or not. ALL listed if the rad was out of a F-600, 700, 800. Most broke the motors down and listed them. Gas-Diesel. Most listed what motor.
Some, 3 or 4 places listed if their radiator was from a 'tilt' front end or not. Some of those 3 or 4 listed if the radiator 'shroud' was from a 'tilt' front end or not.
My question. There is 'not' a radiator for the steel hood front? Then a different radiator and shroud for the tilt front end is there?
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
This site is a bit laid back.

If you post in a nice manner you can do what you want.
There is a lot of shuffling to create new categories. However the site is going through an overhaul shortly.

As to the radiator, most of the commercial vehicles when in service had the radiator recored. New ones are too expensive and there are a couple of dozen variations depending on engine and engine variation. I new a guy at a bigger Ford dealership that sold medium and HD trucks in the 1980s. The variations of parts was almost endless. Just the drivers seat on a HD truck could have a half a dozen choices. And those vehicles are not something that I know a lot about. The MPC I linked above would have far more data than I have experienced.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O' knowlegable Super Moderator. I have another question for you.
I sure could use a picture of how the factory mounted all those, resistors, solenoids, wiring diconnectors, etc, etc on the right side, little, tilt front 1/4 inner fender, please?
On the steel hood, all those components are mounted the full length of the right inner fender.
I need to know how the factory compacted, mounted, all those ele components on that little, tilt front inner fender, so I'll know where to start.
Side note. My steel hood,radiator and fan shroud, fits on the tilt hood core support. There is a difference in the height of the rubber mount for the steel hood core support and the tilt hood core support. That is all. There is a difference between the wiring disconnectors for the lights on the tilt hood. Could be different years.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
???
You should get a factory shop manual. It will give you far more detail.
Ebay - $30 for a CD version $50 for hard copy depending on year

>>>>Action

1 - 13 of 13 Posts