Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the digital clock/trip meter on my squire has been broken for a =while and I haven't really had any interest in fixing it up until now, the problem is it seems none of the buttons are working and the main system is glitching out

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Please post a picture of what you are writing about

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
TRIPMINDER!

Have not seen one of those in a very long time!

I think there is a self-test diagnostic routine that can be done by pushing a combination of buttons.
The later Mark VII that can be done by pressing the Clock and Miles buttons.
TRIP MINDER (MESSAGE CENTER) SELF TEST (thelincolnmarkviiclub.org)
That may not help you.
Likely this will be difficult to find parts and may be expensive to repair.

I have driven two cars that had this system. A very long time ago. The cars I drove, (Crown Victoria and Thunderbird) the system worked well. But I had each car for just about 15,000 miles. I have never repaired these.

You can buy parts and start throwing parts at it. OR ....
My recommendation would be to get a shop manual and do diagnosis.
The factory shop manual set comes in five volumes. While I would be the set, you will only need the Body, Chassis, Electrical
1983 Ford Shop Manual OEM FACTORY TOWN CAR MARK VI CROWN VICTORIA GRAND MARQUIS | eBay

Action

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hello andrewsochaltd,

A problem that is arising with older automotive electronics is electrolytic capacitors leaking electrolyte on the PCB and it's conductive and corrosive. It will eat traces and cause low impedance shorts. It's doubtful the firmware is corrupt, but is always a possibility. Another problem could be a cracked crystal if the microprocessor is using one instead of an internal RC oscillator. This would cause the PC (program counter) to run sporadically and cause problems.

It would be interesting to take the cover off the tripminder and see how it looks on the inside.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts