Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 taurus ses

A/C hasnt worked since I bought the car, but I would really like to fix it. I thought at first the fix would just be putting some refrigerant in the system and it would work fine, but this was not the case. Whenever I turn on the a/c the compressor will engage for a few seconds, then disengage for a bit then engage again for a few seconds. This cycle continues repeatedly. What could be wrong that is causing the compressor to do this.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that when I open my passenger side door (doesnt matter if a/c or heat is on or off) there is a noticable hissing sound like an air leak or something.What could this be and could this have something to do with a/c problem.

thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
...the a/c the compressor will engage for a few seconds, then disengage for a bit then engage again for a few seconds. This cycle continues repeatedly. What could be wrong that is causing the compressor to do this...
Most likely still low of refrigerant. Any chance of some gauge readings?
Was the system empty? If so, then additional preparation is required before recharging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to keep filling with refrigerant until you reach the right operating pressure. I bought a 99 Taurus and added refrigerant to get it to work. I dont remember the brand but it came with a hose with a gauge on it. I added until it stayed in the correct pressure range. As you are filling, when the pressure gets hi enough, you will see the compressor kick. Then the pressure will drop off and the compressor will stop. Keep filling until the pressure stays in the correct operating range. My gauge was color coded. When it stayed in the "green", there was enough refrigerant in the system and it was blowing ice cold.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You need to keep filling with refrigerant until you reach the right operating pressure. I bought a 99 Taurus and I needed 4 full cans to get it to work. I dont remember the brand but it came with a hose with a gauge on it. I kept adding cans until it stayed in the correct pressure range. As you are filling, when the pressure gets hi enough, you will see the compressor kick. Then the pressure will drop off and the compressor will stop. Keep filling until the pressure stays in the correct operating range. My gauge was color coded. When it stayed in the "green", there was enough refrigerant in the system and it was blowing ice cold.
Icefan71, I'm a little concerned.
The correct charge of refrigerant in a 99 Taurus or a 2000 Taurus is 34oz (0.96kg). When you say "4 full cans", I am thinking of the regular sized cans, maybe a 14 or 15oz can. If that is true, then your system is very overcharged. Could it be that your cans are smaller than the commonly sold cans? Could you have lost a significant amount of refrigerant during the recharging process?

My concern is that the future readers of this thread may try to add 4 cans (60oz) into a 34oz system, which will spell disaster! Fortunately 134a designed cars are enabled with a High Pressure Cutoff Switch that works to contain the refrigerant, and hopefully prevent A/C component damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did use 4 cans. Maybe I didn't completely empty them. I don't know. I did use a pressure gauge. I was told by a friend to keep filling until the compressor cycled on and off with the pressure staying in the correct operating range. I am aware of there being both a low and high pressure cut-off. My a/c still blows nice and cold so I assume I did it right. I would certainly not want to cause someone to harm their own car. I wasn't sure how to recharge my system so I asked someone who knew more than me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.