Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several failures of the 2009-10 6f35 transmission when people flat tow behind their motorhome (recreational towing) Ford has advertised them as being flat towable but in fact people have had multiple failures, as many as four transmissions. In addition to lowered oil levels Ford has now come up with a modified baffle in the transmission which diverts oil differently than the baffle that was originally installed for this purpose. This modified baffle is installed in production beginning with transmission build date of Feb 8, 2010. There is no preemptive recall to replace this baffle in vehicles that have transmissions built prior to this date but Ford will replace the transmission with the updated version if and when your transmission fails.
I talked to Ford on Tuesday and asked them why they where not at least changing the baffle in the transmissions that where being flat towed. They told me they had contacted the dealer where I had bought my Escape and that they had not had any problem with failures due to people flat towing. I asked if they where really that stupid and told them the reason they have had no problem was that the dealer only had one customer that flat towed and that was me!!! I also told them that the only reason their dealer knew anything about the problem was because I had taken the TSBs and copies of all the transmission problems from the various forums to them to get them to understand the urgency. This is also the same dealership that I took the Escape to have the oil lowered and they didn't come anywhere near the proper level on the first try. Which caused some heated discussion which encouraged them to do it right.
In saying all this I have towed over 4000 miles and have had no problem so hopefully it will continue. I do think that the lowered oil level is working. I have been encouraging everyone to make sure the transmission is at operating temp 185-200 degrees and to lower the oil to the bare minimum and don't trust the dealer to do it correctly. I also think that people that have had multiple failures have been victims of dealerships that didn't or haven't got the message of how exact the lowered oil level need be. My transmission has never gotten higher than 147 degrees after towing it for 3 1/2 hours at 60-65 miles and hour in about 83 degree ambient. I am awaiting the day that some unknown factor will trigger an immediate and catastrophic failure but as yet it hasn't happened.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any reference numbers (TSB, etc) on the baffle ?
I haven't gotten any TSBs on this fix. If anyone knows anything further then please add that information. I do know the trans tech quite well at the local Ford stealer so I will ask him to see what he can find.
I am still miffed that Ford will do nothing to prior models except if your transmission fails. I told them all they had to do was to look at a vehicle to see if it had been modified to tow and only replace the baffle in them. There is only a handful that are in this position and yet Ford sees fit to turn their back on them. Fixing it if it breaks is not an acceptable position. There is the obvious solution to the problem but I will not go there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I haven't gotten any TSBs on this fix. If anyone knows anything further then please add that information. I do know the trans tech quite well at the local Ford stealer so I will ask him to see what he can find.
I am still miffed that Ford will do nothing to prior models except if your transmission fails. I told them all they had to do was to look at a vehicle to see if it had been modified to tow and only replace the baffle in them. There is only a handful that are in this position and yet Ford sees fit to turn their back on them. Fixing it if it breaks is not an acceptable position. There is the obvious solution to the problem but I will not go there.
In another forum there was a member that claimed to work at Ford's Van **** Plant that builds the 6F35. He said "every" unit that's built has a serial number tide to a list of the exact parts used right down to the supplier of said parts. Where this database is and how to get access to it is another question but I'm sure a dealer could get that info if they put their mind to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have any information on what was changed in the 6F35 starting Feb 08 2010. I went over the 2009 and 2010 schematics with the service tech that does all the trans work at the dealership . We could not find any differences between the two nor was there any distinction made pre and post Feb 8, We could not find any documentation which was written after Dec 2009. The tech would like to know as well.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not.
I have in front of me a print out that a Tech I used to work with .
Full Bulletin-Special Field Action 10L06,Certain 2009Model Year Escape/ Mariner and 2010 Fusion/Milan(non-Hybrid):Four Wheel Down Towing Instructions.
It says The FMCDealer Homepage contains details reguarding the programs and the FSA Vin Lists.
It goes on to say please complete the repairs on your dealer inventory immediately and be prepared to take care of our customers.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact your zone manager.
This notice was for the dealer.
The printout I have is dated 4/21/2010

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not.
I have in front of me a print out that a Tech I used to work with .
Full Bulletin-Special Field Action 10L06,Certain 2009Model Year Escape/ Mariner and 2010 Fusion/Milan(non-Hybrid):Four Wheel Down Towing Instructions.
It says The FMCDealer Homepage contains details reguarding the programs and the FSA Vin Lists.
It goes on to say please complete the repairs on your dealer inventory immediately and be prepared to take care of our customers.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact your zone manager.
This notice was for the dealer.
The printout I have is dated 4/21/2010
That's the booklet that came the 10B15 recall letter about the revised ATF level.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There have been several failures of the 2009-10 6f35 transmission when people flat tow behind their motorhome (recreational towing) Ford has advertised them as being flat towable but in fact people have had multiple failures, as many as four transmissions. In addition to lowered oil levels Ford has now come up with a modified baffle in the transmission which diverts oil differently than the baffle that was originally installed for this purpose. This modified baffle is installed in production beginning with transmission build date of Feb 8, 2010. There is no preemptive recall to replace this baffle in vehicles that have transmissions built prior to this date but Ford will replace the transmission with the updated version if and when your transmission fails.
I talked to Ford on Tuesday and asked them why they where not at least changing the baffle in the transmissions that where being flat towed. They told me they had contacted the dealer where I had bought my Escape and that they had not had any problem with failures due to people flat towing. I asked if they where really that stupid and told them the reason they have had no problem was that the dealer only had one customer that flat towed and that was me!!! I also told them that the only reason their dealer knew anything about the problem was because I had taken the TSBs and copies of all the transmission problems from the various forums to them to get them to understand the urgency. This is also the same dealership that I took the Escape to have the oil lowered and they didn't come anywhere near the proper level on the first try. Which caused some heated discussion which encouraged them to do it right.
In saying all this I have towed over 4000 miles and have had no problem so hopefully it will continue. I do think that the lowered oil level is working. I have been encouraging everyone to make sure the transmission is at operating temp 185-200 degrees and to lower the oil to the bare minimum and don't trust the dealer to do it correctly. I also think that people that have had multiple failures have been victims of dealerships that didn't or haven't got the message of how exact the lowered oil level need be. My transmission has never gotten higher than 147 degrees after towing it for 3 1/2 hours at 60-65 miles and hour in about 83 degree ambient. I am awaiting the day that some unknown factor will trigger an immediate and catastrophic failure but as yet it hasn't happened.
How do you monitor the transmission temp ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you monitor the transmission temp ?
I have a cheap ($ 39.95) heat gun. It probably isn't very accurate but is reasonable enough to rely on to get changes in temps. I bought it at Canadian Tire in Canada but have seen similar in Harbor Freight. About every 2- 21/2 hours I took the temp but with the consistency I was getting I maybe do it a couple of times a day now and am worrying a way less. I take the temp just above the LH axle output as well as a couple of other places. I checked under many variables at first and found no difference. There has been at least one person install a temp probe in the 10mm plug in the bottom of the trans and wire up to his MH. I think we have lost track of him during the change in web sites. Touch wood, I have had no problem and we (Ford Service Tech) and I checked the output seals and all we found was dust, they have never shown signs of leakage. He said that I was just lucky as he has changed a few output seals and housings. A question for the wise ones here. Possibly I need to go to the parts dept and see if there are any parts listed in the 6F35 that have a before and after manufacture date or serial #. That may not work as whatever part number is involved would just be superseded I think.
Thoughts??

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Ford Dealer IDS can monitor ATF temperature but do to changes made in PCM communications, etc., nobody how/where this PID is!! It "might" be possible using the programable ScanGuage-II which I have but info so on this PID has been incorrect or the SG-II can't communicate properly. That would be really sweet if it worked too!;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't "flat tow" my fwd 09. i did get 10L06 notice in the mail along with the supplement book about what to do for flat towing.

While having the car in for 10B15 and the DS half shaft, seal and case replaced I also asked for the new dipstick under TSB 09-11-4. The note on my repair said 'dipstick hard to read" and a part # AL8Z-7A020-A has been ordered (back order). As yet I have not heard from dealer if that part is in. It states "tube & dipstick"....

...so after having 2 service done that required the tranny be opened and then refilled with fluid.....the level of fluid being actually correct is a concern. Existing dipstick has hash marks which I assume is add if below and OK if anywhere within hash marks. What i don't know is if the new dipstick add/fill lines do in fact equally correspond to the hash marks on existing stick.

Beyond replaceing the DS shaft, seal and tranny case I see a plate, 2 seals, pin, indicator assembly were also replaced beyond "gaskets" and 12 qts of fluid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update - we replaced two transmissions last summer and have now had a third one overheat while towing from Phoenix to Oregon. It was towed at the proper fluid level (verified by dealer AND hubby together) and we stopped every 2-3 hours to start the car as directed. We made it about 900 miles before it overheated and threw fluid on the back again. This time it is still running with no ACTIVE codes, as the transmission light went back out after we started the car and let it run, but the fluid smells very burnt and we are sure it is just a matter of time before this one is gone. We tried to continue with our trip as planned, but now have an engine light on, so we will be going to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dealer in Eugene has confirmed that the engine light is related to the transmission issue (and was the first dealer we have contacted that actually knew about the problems towing, but not the extent of them). We are waiting for "direction from Ford" at this point. I could think of a few directions that I would like to give them. The dealer told me there is a new part that redirects the transmission oil (not specifically called a "baffle", but that they can only install after failure. That's just oh so convenient when you are on the road 1200 miles from home.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer told me there is a new part that redirects the transmission oil (not specifically called a "baffle", but that they can only install after failure. That's just oh so convenient when you are on the road 1200 miles from home.
If you can, please try and find out specifically what this part is, (even a part # if you can) what it does and where it's located in the transmission. I have been trying to find out without much luck. Apparently this new part was incorporated into the transmission beginning with the manufacturing date of Feb 8, 2010. My transmission has not caused problems flat towing but I live in fear. My Ford dealer tech and I would really like to know to see what it is and does to cure the overheating problems. Also if in future I have a failure I know what to ask/insist on. I have been told by Ford they will only install it if and when I have a failure. Like you say "oh good I'm only 1200 miles from home with a burnt up transmission"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unfortunately, the dealer has now backtracked and has decided the engine light has nothing to do with the transmission. A failure of the sellenoids that control the transmission timing is just a "coincidence". And the fluid on the back of the car probably came from the RV, and the fluid always smells like this. So we are just having him put it in writing that there is nothing wrong with the tranny so that we can get it replaced when it burns up again. Hopefully, that won't be until we are headed home. This is so frustrating. I can't believe they are trying to say the fluid comes from our RV when the only time it is on the car has been the 3 times the tranny got hot! What a joke!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Unfortunately, the dealer has now backtracked and has decided the engine light has nothing to do with the transmission. A failure of the sellenoids that control the transmission timing is just a "coincidence". And the fluid on the back of the car probably came from the RV, and the fluid always smells like this. So we are just having him put it in writing that there is nothing wrong with the tranny so that we can get it replaced when it burns up again. Hopefully, that won't be until we are headed home. This is so frustrating. I can't believe they are trying to say the fluid comes from our RV when the only time it is on the car has been the 3 times the tranny got hot! What a joke!
Do you mean the transmission valve body? If so, they are part of the transmission, replaced as a unit, never rebuilt, have a serial number/stratagy that must be entered into the PCM when installed. It's the heart of the 6F35.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just towed mine another 250 highway miles without problem. 60-62 mph and about 85* ambient temp The only thing I notice is that after I've towed it there is a smell of trans fluid in the car when I get in. The fluid is warm but not hot is the proper color and doesn't smell burnt, there are no leaks so I don't know where this comes from. Possibly the smell is venting from the transmission and getting into the car when it's towed.
The reason I would like to know what the modification is would be if the hoot noise gets bad enough and the chain gets changed I'd like to know if the mod can be done to my transmission or is it a different casing etc.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just towed mine another 250 highway miles without problem. 60-62 mph and about 85* ambient temp The only thing I notice is that after I've towed it there is a smell of trans fluid in the car when I get in. The fluid is warm but not hot is the proper color and doesn't smell burnt, there are no leaks so I don't know where this comes from. Possibly the smell is venting from the transmission and getting into the car when it's towed.
The reason I would like to know what the modification is would be if the hoot noise gets bad enough and the chain gets changed I'd like to know if the mod can be done to my transmission or is it a different casing etc.
If it smells of ATF after towing "only", it's something to do with the towing.

There have been a few around in other forums that had the chain replaced only to have the "hoot" come back. They just replace the chain, not the case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it smells of ATF after towing "only", it's something to do with the towing.

There have been a few around in other forums that had the chain replaced only to have the "hoot" come back. They just replace the chain, not the case.
With all due respect, I realize that the smell has "something to do with the towing". My speculation on that is the ATF is being circulated and giving off a smell which vents and gets in the vehicle.
I know that the chain replacement hasn't been all that satisfactory. What I'm trying to find out is that if the new oil baffle or whatever the change has been for flat towing can it be retrofitted to my transmission. If I had the chain changed for the "hoot" noise can the modification be done to mine. Even if I paid for the extra parts myself. If there has been a change to the case casting then it's probably out of the question.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts