Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say Hi to all my Fairmont brothers and sisters. After amassing what has become a decent collection of mustangs ive decided to do something differet. I was scouring a local mom and pop junkyard and stumbled across an '80 Fairmont Futura Coupe. It has the inline tower of power (lol) and an auto trans. Amazingly enough the car only has 88k on the clock and has no rust anywhere. I got the story from the owners of the yard that it belonged to a local couple. 2 years ago it wouldnt pass PA inspection due to a small fuel leak in the tank, they junked the car. After some careful bargaining i struck the deal at $275 with a clear and clean title on the car. My short term plans for the car is to get it running again and on the road legally. Long term plans are.....well still undecided. I do have a nice 460 sitting in the garage along with tons of Fox chassis speed stuff. There is a sick twisted part of me that kinda wants to restore the car. Damn dilemas. Either way ill be bringing the car home next weekend and hopefully have the time to get some pics for ya'll

·
Registered
684 Posts
Got another one, nice save! Also welcome to the brotherhood of the F/Z, you came to the right place for any help, info or moral support when something just won't do what you want it to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I always wanted a Fairmont. My parents bought one new in 79 and the last time I rode in one was 82 when they traded it iin on a chevy citation. The thing I remember best about that car was my mom slamming on the brakes for a redlight and me taking flight from the back seat and hitting the dash. Probably explains alot of why I am the way I am.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome, it's amazing how many decent Fairmonts/Zephyrs are still out there. They are also cheap too which must be why i like them.:lol:

I say modify the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I go the mod route, im thinking 5 lug conversion (have it sitting), 8.8 with 3.90's, 460 carbed, c4, ya know the standard crap. Let me know what ya guys think of this though. Since the car is a non vinyl roof car (thank god) i was leaning toward a set of original torque thrusts on the front with 15x10 steelies on the back. Topping off the hood with a teardrop scoop. Ive searched my ass off on the net and cant find anyone who makes a prefab hood like that. Beings that the paint is most likely salvageable (oxidized but not shot), give it a good buff, a set of red tweed aero stang GT buckets for the front and a console outta a 83/84 cougar/tbird. I wanna keep the column shift if I can, I dont mind the fab work on the headers either.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
My parents bought one new in 79 and the last time I rode in one was 82 when they traded it iin on a chevy citation.
way to down grade:prrr: it's like going from a 74 maverick to a 79 omni...

welcome anyways

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the GLH was the best one. Carrol Shelby actually said it really does stand for "Goes Like Hell"

·
Registered
206 Posts
If I go the mod route, im thinking 5 lug conversion (have it sitting), 8.8 with 3.90's, 460 carbed, c4, ya know the standard crap. Let me know what ya guys think of this though. Since the car is a non vinyl roof car (thank god) i was leaning toward a set of original torque thrusts on the front with 15x10 steelies on the back. Topping off the hood with a teardrop scoop. Ive searched my ass off on the net and cant find anyone who makes a prefab hood like that. Beings that the paint is most likely salvageable (oxidized but not shot), give it a good buff, a set of red tweed aero stang GT buckets for the front and a console outta a 83/84 cougar/tbird. I wanna keep the column shift if I can, I dont mind the fab work on the headers either.
If you're going to go with a carbed 460, you should check out my build.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/ford-fairmont/267-big-block-zephyr-build.html

There also plenty of pics in my photobucket link too....good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ive looked it over a few times. It will make my life easier to say the least. Dont take this the wrong way but it sure is nice to see someone else have all the problems and avoid em on your own build.
The only problems that occured was due to the tight spacing at the rear of the engine bay.
I've never been fond of the aftermarket swap kits because they've always looked thrown together, and the engines look like they don't belong. At least for a while, I wanted to be able to use the stock hood (without a scoop). With the 2" k-member spacers, and the 2-3" engine setback, this thing should handle fairly well.
If you do plan on building you own headers, I used a kit from speedway motors....the kit is by dynatech. It came with flanges, collectors, gaskets and bolts....all for way under $200. The only thing I didn't really like is the flanges came without the usual stubs of tubing welded in like the hooker flanges do.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me....good luck!

Bryan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the asylum! You should know that the Fairmont has a 5" longer wheelbase. Keep this in mind when you go looking for subframe connectors. The extra length is reportedly just behind the front seats. This makes it possible for actual people to sit in the back seat... unless you remove it for the sake of saving weight and/or install a rollbar for the sake of chassis rigidity. One nice benefit of the extra five inches is added stability at speed compared to the Mustang. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the most sold cars in the country can't be wrong

1 - 19 of 19 Posts