Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law has a ford contour and yesterday he started it and then it died. I can hear the fuel pump kicking in, the battery is charged. I let it sit for a few minutes and then it chugged a little bit bu still no luck.

·
Registered
338 Posts
first step would be to try the fuel filter, and ground out a spark plug wire to see if you have spark, thats where i would start.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also make sure that the fuel kill switch in the driver's side kick panel hasn't tripped. It's rare, but has happened before. There should be a label and hole indicating it's location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford Contour won't start

OK- so it may not make a difference, but it is actually a Mercury Mystique. It is a 1998 with a 2.0 Liter ZeTec vct.

As I said the fuel pump is running, I pressed the fuel bleeder (not sure if that is what it is called) it is located up top under the air intake hose. The bleeder was dripping fuel. I am not sure how much pressure it should be releasing ?

I then pulled each spark plug out 1 by 1 and they had spark, but they were dry as can be. That makes me think that fuel is getting past the filter, but not into the chambers.

I am thinking something is wrong with the fuel injection ? Anyone that may be able to confirm by chance what is happening ?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
was the check engine light on at any point?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
As I said the fuel pump is running, I pressed the fuel bleeder (not sure if that is what it is called) it is located up top under the air intake hose. The bleeder was dripping fuel. I am not sure how much pressure it should be releasing ?
for future reference, don't ever do that again. i have seen some people do that when i was in the military with jet engine fuel lines, and hydraulic lines, cut your fingers right off to say the least...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
anyways, it may be injectors. i'd ask poppy whenever he comes online again, which won't be too long... lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for future reference, don't ever do that again. i have seen some people do that when i was in the military with jet engine fuel lines, and hydraulic lines, cut your fingers right off to say the least...
Thanks for the heads up on that, I have cut my finger open with a pressure washer, so I used a small thin object so i could keep all limbs and eyes out of harms way. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
It should be squirting out not dripping....about 30-40 psi. A fuel pressure tester will tell you if the pump is bad (even if you hear it running). You can use a cheap tire pressure gauge in a pinch. Cheap is the key word, it might be ruined from the fuel.
Install the gauge then turn the key to 'on', you have about 3 seconds to get the reading, the pump turns off if the engine doesn't fire up.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It should be squirting out not dripping....about 30-40 psi. A fuel pressure tester will tell you if the pump is bad (even if you hear it running). You can use a cheap tire pressure gauge in a pinch. Cheap is the key word, it might be ruined from the fuel.
Install the gauge then turn the key to 'on', you have about 3 seconds to get the reading, the pump turns off if the engine doesn't fire up.
What he said

[B said:
spadutyflugins][/B]OK- so it may not make a difference, but it is actually a Mercury Mystique. It is a 1998 with a 2.0 Liter ZeTec vct.
No difference same engine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts