Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have 1996 Ford Econoline e350 with the 460 lump in it. I purchased this vehicle about 6 months ago and basically, I'm learning about faults etc as and when they occur. I don't have any prior experience with these vehicles.

Currently, I have 2 questions.

1.) Do these engines run really hot? What I mean is, is it normal after a run for the bonnet and wings to be scorching hot? The temperature gauge remains stable (needle is central) but on the last run, I could smell burning, although nothing seemed to be melting or on fire.. :eek:. After returning home, there was no pressure in the radiator, and the water hoses were not on the verge on exploding, everything seemed normal on that front.

I will mention this though when it's hot, it struggles to start because the starter motor is not spinning like it does when it's cold. On a previous occasion, I did crawl underneath to inspect the starter motor, which by the way is a replacement unit, and it was literally glowing red, so to speak. Should there not be a heat shield for this?

Granted, this extreme heat problem has become more noticeable as we head into the summer months. Currently, the country I am in is flirting with mid-40s at the moment, but I'm not convinced the outside temperature is the culprit..

2.) The second problem I have is a really noisy fuel pump. I recently had this item replaced, or so I was told it was replaced, but I suspect it was an aftermarket product, or maybe the mechanic just repaired the old one, who knows.. I did some research and there seems to be some talk out there that these fuel pumps can be a bit noisy.. But my one is whining really loud, so much so that at traffic lights, other motorists are noticing..

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice on any of the above would be grateful... Thanks in advance!! ))

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
You state that there is no pressure in the radiator
Are you loosing coolant?
Is the coolant circulating?
The cranking issue when hot could be anything from a loss of compression when hot
Or even a ground
How many miles on the Van?
They make many fuel pumps for them
Some are pump only that people make for a cheaper repair
Is this an RV?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You state that there is no pressure in the radiator
Are you loosing coolant?
Is the coolant circulating?
The cranking issue when hot could be anything from a loss of compression when hot
Or even a ground
How many miles on the Van?
They make many fuel pumps for them
Some are pump only that people make for a cheaper repair
Is this an RV?

Hi there, thanks for the speedy reply. OK so, the radiator cap doesn't seem to lock tightly when closed, it appears slightly loose and so this could be the reason no pressure is building up. I'm not losing any coolant, and I'm going to check now whether or not the coolant is circulating, I hadn't thought of that. The mileage on the vehicle is only 78,000 miles which I had confirmed. I'm pretty sure there is no loss of compression as the turnover is very slow indeed but fires on a single rotation, it mimics a dead battery if you catch my drift. It's not an RV. It used to be a 12 seater bus. XLT Clubwagon, it's not the long body. See pic below.

Once again thank you for your help. )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The radiator cap not sealing (or locking down) is a problem.
It is a problem with engine cooling and is a problem for keeping coolant in the engine.
Since you do not know the history at minimum drain the cooling system and replace the cap. (Basic cooling system maintenance) At the same time inspect all of the hoses and clamps.

Slow cranking may be a battery issue. Make sure the water level is correct and the cable ends at the battery are clean and tight.

You may have two or 3 fuel pumps depending on the number of fuel tanks. A pump in the tank and one on the fuel rail just under the driver. The tank pumps tend to be louder than the frame rail pump. Not much you can do with the in tank pumps unless you want to drop the fuel tanks. The frame rail pump can be inspected to see if it is mounted securely. Was/has the fuel filter been replaced?

Action

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Action

Thanks for your input. The battery is relatively new and all seems ok. It usually cranks ok, It's just recently started struggling when hot. There is only one petrol tank and I haven't been able to locate the second inline pump (frame rail) just yet but didn't have too much time to get right underneath. The fuel filter has not been replaced, the mechanic said he just cleaned it through with an airline.. So I need to change that obviously. although the pump only starts becoming loud after maybe 10 mins of driving. At startup it's quiet.

Is it possible, I might only have one pump, or do all of the 460s come with at least two?

On the coolant front, I can now say that the coolant is not circulating, I presume the first job is to check the thermostat and replace that cap?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
What's the coolant level in the Degas bottle?
that is where you should check it to keep from getting burn,t
I checked online for a starter heat wrap blanket
They Show them at Jegs and Summit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the advice, The Degas bottle was dry! and thanks for looking into the starter heat wrap blanket, I'll check out Jegs and Summit.

Many Thanks. )

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Is it possible, I might only have one pump, or do all of the 460s come with at least two?

The engine does not make the difference in number of fuel pumps it is the system design. With one tank you will have a pump in the tank. And if that is the one that makes the sound doesn't really matter about the other pump.

Suggestions -
The filter may be restricted. It takes a bit for the pump to over come the restriction and then it is doing battle with the restriction in the filter. Replace it no matter what since you do not know the history.
Before you do that, run the truck until the sound comes back. Then remove the fuel filler cap and see if the sound changes.
And then change the fuel filter.

Action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts