Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1963 ford falcon sitting in a old barn. It has been sitting since 1975. It wasn't stuck. I can't get to start. I have put new points,coil starter. It's getting fire but will not start. I checked the timing new wires also

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Getting "fire" or spark and no start. Sounds like it is lacking fuel. Pour a small amount (an ounce or so) of fuel down the carb and crank the starter.
Vehicles that have sat that long will likely have fuel system issues. The fuel breaks down, much of it evaporates and what is left is varnish or gum. Things to look at:
Fuel pump not working
Fuel lines clogged
Fuel filter clogged
Fuel tank has too much debris - dropping the tank and cleaning out may be necessary
Fuel line pick up in tank is clogged

Report back on what you find

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
310 Posts
If the battery is strong, do a compression test. If the battery is weak, then either replace it ,or charge it. Take out all the spark plugs and block the throttle and chole fully open, screw the compression gauge into spark plug hole for cylinder #1 and crank the engine over 3 or 4 times. record the highest number you saw, remove the compression gauge and screw it into cly #2 and repeat . Squirt a few drops of oil into cyl #1 and understand that some of that oil will be sprayed out as you crank. Every time you move the compression gauge, squirt oil into the cyl you just finished. When you have done all 6, go back and do them all again. The first time, you did a "dry" compression test. The second time is a "wet" compression test. Having both the dry and wet numbers will help diagnose what is wrong with the engine. Oh, be careful around the coil--it could still bite you.
Post your number back here, please.---also make sure the battery is cranking at about the same speed for all tests.
Also pay attention to the "oil" light as you crank. Hopefully, it will go out at some point during this test.

If you can--post your location. Someone might be close enough to help you with this.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
MS Fowler

Chucky3124 is in Tennessee
When the forum changed awhile back, user locations got moved off of the avatars.
Hover over any avatar and the location shows up.

It is possible to show location more overtly. I have done it under my avatar
Under account settings, there is a slot for Vehicle Details. If you enter a vehicle it shows up like Chucky3124. A vehicle just under the avatar. I prefer to put vehicles owned in my signature.

Action

·
Registered
627 Posts
Change out all of the fluids. Add a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in as one quart of new oil. Drain & flush the gas tank. Drain & flush the coolant. Check all electrical grounds.

New spark plugs, new air & fuel filter too.

You can run a hose from a drip can and gravity feed your carb. Just be safe. Block the cars wheels good & keep a shop towel & fire extinguisher handy.

Report back after compression tests mentioned above.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
122 Posts
I found a 1963 ford falcon sitting in a old barn. It has been sitting since 1975. It wasn't stuck. I can't get to start. I have put new points,coil starter. It's getting fire but will not start. I checked the timing new wires also
That’s awesome 👏
Is it a sedan, 2 door, 4 door, station wagon, ranchero??? What condition? Pics would be nice….👍

·
Registered
640 Posts
I only have 5.43 volts at the coil the part store said I should have at least 11 how do I bypass the resistor wire
Is your coil the original part? I don't know the reason, but the voltage for that generation of coils is supposed to be 6.6 volts or less (hence the need for the resstor wire to be step down from 12 volts). See figure three on this page in the '62 Falcon FSM.
Falcon Shop Manual 1960-62: Page 2-003

The 63 FSM states the specs are the same as in 1962. Heck it's still about 6.6 volts in the '66 FSM as well.

Most aftermarket coils expect roughly 12 volts.
it could be your resistor wire is overachieving due to age or too much heat in the circuit which does increase resistance.

But speaking of OEM factory service manuals, they have several pages of diagnostic guides to zero in on the cause of the problem you're tryng to solve.

Kevin

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
If it is stock and unaltered ignition system ...
There will be battery voltage during engine cranking. That comes from the starter relay.
During engine run, as stated above, you will have significantly less because of the resistor wire from the ignition switch protecting the coil. The stock ignition coil can not handle battery voltage for long periods of time.

Action

·
Registered
137 Posts
I took a 1962 Falcon wagon out of a garage where it had set for 19 years. The gas tank was so rusted that it was completely unusable. The sender was rusted. The fuel pump was shot and the carburetor had goo in it from the fuel that had evaporated. If this car has set in the barn since 1975, its fuel system is going to need some serious work.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
122 Posts
I took a 1962 Falcon wagon out of a garage where it had set for 19 years. The gas tank was so rusted that it was completely unusable. The sender was rusted. The fuel pump was shot and the carburetor had goo in it from the fuel that had evaporated. If this car has set in the barn since 1975, its fuel system is going to need some serious work.
How’s that 62’ wagon doing now???

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've took the gasoline lose and I have to take out the gas tank. I'm at the point where I would like to find a 200 straight 6 motor and transmission to put in it. I don't want to V8 it

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Finding a six that has been removed to install an eight should be pretty easy.

The chance any Ford product built after 1956 with positive ground is extremely remote. You have a better chance at winning the lotto.

Action

Reactions: ms fowler

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've took the gasoline lose and I have to take out the gas tank. I'm at the point where I would like to find a 200 straight 6 motor and transmission to put in it. I don't want to V8 it
While you're working on other things, you might pour a couple of tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder. If the piston rings are stuck to the pistons, this might help them to loosen up and restore lost compression. New gas tanks are available for both station wagons and passenger cars and cost about $350. Not cheap but a good investment.

You have to be careful when buying a new sending unit for the gas tank. I got one from Autokrafters and the plastic filter on the end of the pickup had an internal buildup of plastic that prevented the filter from going on all the way. This prevented the pickup tube from getting down to the bottom of the tank and caused me to run out of gas when there was still plenty in the tank. Fortunately, I still had an older sending unit that I was able to substitute instead.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts