Ford Automobiles banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
204 Posts
rings prob not stuck. it should still run , might smoke a little tho.
maybe one of the members here has a ignition wiring diagram on the 63 they can post that might help ya. also prob. rebuild the carb or see if theflot is stuck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Throttle was open. Could the rings still be stuck
Absolutely! Compression test should be run on a warmed engine. No harm in letting it run a while---if you can get it started.
I wouldn't do too many things at one time. First check spark--I believe you posted a video that showed it would run in the ":start" position and then die when you released the key to "run" That sounds like either 1) the key switch itself is bad, or 2) the resistor wire from the switch to the coil is bad. You should be able to use a volt meter to see if you have voltage at the coil with the key in the "run" position ( about 5.5 volts) and 12 volts in the "start" position.
Don't mess with the carb until you know you have spark. Besides, if the video I am thinking of is yours, it RUNS--no need to mess with the carb.
Find out why it dies depending on the key position---that means "Electrical:--Nothing on the carb changes as you move the key from start to run.

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
While you're working on other things, you might pour a couple of tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder. If the piston rings are stuck to the pistons, this might help them to loosen up and restore lost compression. New gas tanks are available for both station wagons and passenger cars and cost about $350. Not cheap but a good investment.

You have to be careful when buying a new sending unit for the gas tank. I got one from Autokrafters and the plastic filter on the end of the pickup had an internal buildup of plastic that prevented the filter from going on all the way. This prevented the pickup tube from getting down to the bottom of the tank and caused me to run out of gas when there was still plenty in the tank. Fortunately, I still had an older sending unit that I was able to substitute instead.
Will a 302 fit in a 1963 falcon

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
Windsor small block V-8. Unofficially named that because it was manufactured in Windsor Ontario Canada
During the almost 40 year run starting in 1962 was produced in the following displacements
221, 255, 260, 302 and 351

In 1963 and later the Ford Falcon had an option for that small block V8 as a 260.
The 260 was approximately 29 inches long, 24 inches wide and 27 1/2 inches tall and weighed in at 782 pounds
Introduced in the 1968 model year, the 302 was approximately 27 1/2 inches long, 18 1/4 inches wide and 20 1/2 inches tall

A 302 should fit in a 63 Falcon that had a six with mods.
Engine mounting will need to be custom made
Engine cooling connection
Fuel line
Accelerator linckage/cable
Front spring change
Only stock log exhaust manifolds will fit
Larger wheels and brakes

The 302 changed over the years and some of those changes were in dimensions

Action

·
Registered
72 Posts
"During the almost 40 year run starting in 1962 was produced in the following displacements
221, 255, 260, 302 and 351"

Let's not forget the awesome 289!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
"During the almost 40 year run starting in 1962 was produced in the following displacements
221, 255, 260, 302 and 351"

Let's not forget the awesome 289!
I did forget.
Ouch!!!

Action

Reactions: Brewser

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
Yes

Action

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How hard will it be to pull the old motor and put back in the new motor? It's a 170 also and I figured that it would be easier not to pull the transmission

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
If both are 170 CID engines, it will be a lot easier than any other engine changes.
And leaving the transmission in place would be a good decision.

With the engine out and an empty engine bay, that is opportunity knocking.
To do some cleaning and/or painting as needed.
Also consider replacing parts that may be difficult to replace with the engine in.
Engine mounts
Exhaust pipe to manifold gaskets
Shift linkage bushings
Anything else that may be excessively worn or broken

Action

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I found a 1963 ford falcon sitting in a old barn. It has been sitting since 1975. It wasn't stuck. I can't get to start. I have put new points,coil starter. It's getting fire but will not start. I checked the timing new wires also
I just bought I knew 170 motor and put it in and the motor will not turn with the bellhousing bolts tightened up it's an automatic transmission this motor is a 1964 it had a 3-speed behind it is there something I'm doing wrong

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
The engine turns without the transmission bolted?
If yes, does the transmission turn without being connected to the engine?

If both of those turn, the issue is in the flex plate/torque converter connection.

What year is the automatic transmission?
And what transmission is it?

Action

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The engine turns without the transmission bolted?
If yes, does the transmission turn without being connected to the engine?

If both of those turn, the issue is in the flex plate/torque converter connection.

What year is the automatic transmission?
And what transmission is it?

Action
The transmission is a 1963 fordomatic the motor is a 1964. I used my plate.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts