Ford Automobiles banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
Do both the transmission and engine turn when separated?

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
Then there is a problem with the torque converter and/or flex plate.
Or possibly the installation of the two are not square to each other.

Are the torque converter and flex plate from the transmission?

Action

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Then there is a problem with the torque converter and/or flex plate.
Or possibly the installation of the two are not square to each other.

Are the torque converter and flex plate from the transmission?

Action
Yes there the ones that came with the car. A guy said that the torque converter may have slid forward and that could cause it to lock up when I tighten up the bell housing bolts. Could that do it

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
If the TC shifts out of position, yes that can be a problem

Action

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
204 Posts
i wonder if you can loosen the trany just enuf from the motor to see about adjusting it, to see if you can get it to turn?????

·
Registered
1963 ford falcon funtura
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
While you're working on other things, you might pour a couple of tablespoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder. If the piston rings are stuck to the pistons, this might help them to loosen up and restore lost compression. New gas tanks are available for both station wagons and passenger cars and cost about $350. Not cheap but a good investment.

You have to be careful when buying a new sending unit for the gas tank. I got one from Autokrafters and the plastic filter on the end of the pickup had an internal buildup of plastic that prevented the filter from going on all the way. This prevented the pickup tube from getting down to the bottom of the tank and caused me to run out of gas when there was still plenty in the tank. Fortunately, I still had an older sending unit that I was able to substitute instead.
Lookin for someone to tell me what this motor is C5DE. I bought the motor. It is suppose to be a 1964 170

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
C5DE is a casting number or an engineering number.

What do you want to know?

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,316 Posts
That number does not give that kind of data.

All I can tell you from just the C5DE number is it was a 1965 design or revision. And it is for a smaller car.

How many core plugs?
How many bolts on the water pump?
Any pictures?
Classic Inlines - Ford Small Inline Six Specs (fordsix.com)

Action

·
Registered
111 Posts
The torque convertor typically engages more than one set of splines. It's likely not seated all the way in. When the engine and transmission are bolted together, you should be able to sightly separate the torque convertor and flex plate. Another clue is if you're having to draw the engine and transmission together using the bolts. Don't use the bolts to close the gap, if it doesn't mate up there's a problem. I've bent a flex plate by not having the torque convertor seated properly into the transmission.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts