Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought this 06 five hundred. The transmission made a grinding noise while in gear. I put it in park noise went away. Put it in gear again and looked at the cv shaft twisting back n forth. Pulled the drivers side axle out. Put the car in gear the noise was gone. When i put it in park it screeched to a stop. So my question is. With the noise gone while in gear with the shaft out. Is it the transmission or the cv shaft that is bad? I got a new cv shaft but id hate to put the new one in just to again have the noise transfer back into the trans once in gear.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The grinding noise in gear, vehicle moving or stationary?

What does the transmission fluid smell like?

With the old CV shaft out is it bad? Lots of play?

The screeching with the shaft removed and placing the shifter in park, that was the transmission output spinning with nothing to stop the shaft from spinning other than the parking pawl. Hopefully you did not damage that too much.

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grinding noise started as i was driving. I pulled over put the car in park noise stopped. Put it back in gear noise started again but wldnt move. I did not smell the fluid.... idk why i didn think of that. Splines look good but yes a bit of play in it. Thats what i thought it was from. I only did it once to see if the noise came back while in gear with the shaft out.
What do you think?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
I suspect the noise as described above is from the joints in the axle shaft. I would want to confirm by inspecting that shaft.

The transmission fluid and filter should be replaced every 30,000 miles. If over that or unknown (because you just bought it) do the transmission service.

Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts