Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have purchased a replacement engine for my falcon, its a 170 but it has a valve cover i have never seen before, I will post the photos and I am hoping someone can identify what ford it came from . Thanks
8C173890-8372-40BA-8F38-9ABAA5ADBC9C.jpeg
9CB903B1-4ACA-49BE-BDE3-3ABFAB7A71B4.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
That valve cover is from the 1970s. Or may be later.
The orange sticker on the side is called an engine calibration sticker.
It will show the engine displacement

In addition it will have a calibration code. If the cover is for that engine, it would have some data about the engine, the vehicle it was installed and the date it was built.

If it is a 170, it should have 3 core plugs on the side of the block.

Pretty sure the cover has been repainted.

Action

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like a later 200 Valve cover from a later 200,mid to late 70's by the font of the letters, Ford uused the 200 in the fox body mustang and Fairmont , I think Ford dropped the 200 after 79, and went to the 250, bit don't quote me on that, I am willing to bet that it is a 200 of the later vintage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a later 200 Valve cover from a later 200,mid to late 70's by the font of the letters, Ford uused the 200 in the fox body mustang and Fairmont , I think Ford dropped the 200 after 79, and went to the 250, bit don't quote me on that, I am willing to bet that it is a 200 of the later vintage.
Thanks are you saying the valve cover is from a 200 or i have actually bought myself a 200 motor. I will get all the numbers off of it now that I have it home. I do know the adapter plate i bought for a 170 doesn’t fit so there’s a big clue

·
Registered
46 Posts
As Action said,look on the side of the block, 170 ci wil have 3 freeze plugs and the 200 will have if I recall will have 5 freeze plugs, the letter font on the valve cover is the later letter font that I see on the latter 70's early 80's Ford engine's post a pic of the block from the side,the freeze plugs will be the determining factor as to a 170 or 200, me myself I would rather have the 200, that's what is in my 64 falcon 👍

·
Registered
46 Posts
John,just curious, what carb is on the engine, early model 170-200 engine's would have had the 1100-1101,the later model engine would have a different style carb, I just noticed by your previous pic's the intake is more of a square unit casting as the Early model engine had a rounded unit casting,look also at block and head casting numbers,hope this helps 👍

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all responses, I see the autolite tag or part of it showing but I am going to get all the numbers and codes and get more pics, I covered it up quickly last night when I got it home. It has a two bolt starter which is another piece of the puzzle. But the big worry is that the adapter plate for the bellhousing for my t5 doesn’t line up and that was specific for the 144-170. Thats the main reason I am leaning towards the 200. But the tags and codes will unveil the mystery soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts