Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Galaxie Vert that I am going to pull the frame out of. I have removed the front clip, fender aprons, bumpers (front and rear), motor and tranny. I am going to be replacing the frame in a couple of weeks with a 68 Vert frame with disc brakes. I would like to put the rebuilt motor and tranny on the frame before I replace it. My question is, if I do this I need to put the frame back in from the front. Is it just as easy to remove the frame from the front as it is from the rear? Any info appreciated.

Also thanks to Lincolndriver for info on my last post. I also love the Marks Series as I have had 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
mccartyef, thenks for the shout out:thumbsup:
if you put the engine/tranny on the 68 frame, the questions are 1- do you is do you have enough room in your shop to maneuver everything? 2- if you do, can you lift the 67 body high enough to clear the front bumper/radiator support, or did you remove them too?

and i see the LSC rims on your 67.
also on the 68, are the disc brakes single piston or 4 caliper pistons? here are the four caliper pistons

also when you finish, it would look soo much better with one of my xl Galaxie grills

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That a good lookin blue ragtop. Yeah the wheels are off of a 92 Mark VII LSC I had a few years ago, since I have had 2 Mark VIII's. I am not sure how many piston calipers the 68 frame's are. I will be making a trip to see the 68 frame hopefully within a week or two. Which would be better? In the pic the car was pretty much together, I have since removed the entire front clip and the radiator support and frame. I have pulled the car out of the garage and I think I may pull it out from the front. I have an A-Frame that I welded up years ago with my Dad when I was in high school. I will use it to raise the rear body up and use 4x4's and jacks for the front. I have a 30x50 foot pole barn to work with, so space is OK. The XL galalxie grill does look better, mine is in good used shape but to be show would need to be rechromed. So as long as clearance is not an issue, it doesn't matter which way I pull the frame? Thanks for the info, Have a great Fourth Weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the body off of the frame, it took about 2hours, but I already had the front clip off. It wasn't that hard just time consuming. The front clip was the most involved, lots of rusty 43 year old bolts and screws. As I suspected the body is solid and was holding the frame together. I don't believe it is salvagable. Hopefully I can get the 68 Vert frame in the next couple weeks. In the mean time I have some wire brush cleaning to do along with some rust por painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love picture #3, nothing wrong with that frame. Not to steal you're thread but I'm thinking of picking up a set of those wheels from the pickapart for interum wheels on my 61 Sunliner. At least untill the budget allows for the Kelsey Hayse wires I want.
Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
61Sunliner, I think you might have clearance problems. I remember puttong a set on my 63, didnt fit cause of the offset.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well Rats,Thanks for the tip. Was hoping if the rims fit a 67 they might fit a 61. I'll make sure I have offset measurments with me if I go to chech them out.
Mike

·
Registered
534 Posts
yeah, big ups to the rig design. its amazing what you can do with tools and a lot of room!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those wheels are off of a Lincoln Mark VII LSC and they rub the upper ball joints, I just used them as rollers. Thanks for the thumbs up on the rig design. I have used that thing for lifting everything. Now just got to go to Nashville to get my new frame. WOOHOOO.:cornut:

·
Registered
534 Posts
wheels

Those wheels are off of a Lincoln Mark VII LSC and they rub the upper ball joints, I just used them as rollers. Thanks for the thumbs up on the rig design. I have used that thing for lifting everything. Now just got to go to Nashville to get my new frame. WOOHOOO.:cornut:
We call the offset," front wheel offset for rear wheel vehicles" I think they work on some 73 and up.
I really hope you are taking lots of photos! that will make and interesting thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, my deal with the frame in Nashville, TN may fall through. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a 65-68 Frame for my 67 convertible Galaxie. There is a hardtop frame for a 67 on Ebay for $599.00 w/o shipping. Should I go this route? I was hoping for this one in Nashville because is was off of an XL and had front disc brakes. Any help on finding a frame is appreciated, I am at a hault until I do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am located in Southern Indiana. Thanks for the info, I did email him. I haven't recieved a reply yet. I have found many 4-Door sedan frames and hardtop frames. If it is just as easy as reinforcing the frames that is no problems. If the mounting locations are different, I can live with that to make it work. I just don't want the rear wheel arch to be different. I don't want to have to shorten a frame.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was told the 63-64 frames were the same as far as the 2d,4d,, but i doint know about the 66-68.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well good news, the guy from Nashville called today and I am going to pick up the frame this weekend, and possibly with a convertible body on it minus the front clip. Good thing too, seems as if vert frames are not readily found even out west. And yes, I am taking lots of pictures my wife reminded me too. I will post some more later this weekend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great, but dont worry about the disc brakes, the 4 piston caliper requires a special disc brake rim and no aftermarket rim will fit over the calipers. I had one hell of a time trying to fit the cragars over them, i finally had to put in longer studs and use spacers too, ended up using 3/4 " of spacers. I never trusted the set up.
besides, most of the mid 70's cougar, tbird, ltd etc will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Lincolndriver, on my convertible top lines(I have new ones) is the best way to bleed the cylinders to loosen the lower pipe threads on the cyclinders and power up the top then close them when the air is out???? This is something that I can replace the lines and do while the frame is off and I am waiting to drive to Nashville. The top worked fine years ago until one of the lines cracked. I was hoping to see a bleeding valve but no. Thanks. You guys have been so helpful. Hopefully pictures of the new frame this weekend!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
i believe I have a book that covers the vert top. ill look for it this weekend.
yeah when you get your pics, put them in an album in your cp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate you looking for the vert book, I uploaded a bunch of pics that I have so far on my album take a look tell me what you think I have gotten myself into. By the way that is a cool 63 galaxie you got from your Dad. You don't see a lot of survivors like that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts