Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the '04 3.9 Freestar over 400 miles today, no prob, then we went to the dirt track, got rained out & left within about 45 min. As soon as I started it, it popped a code. According to Advance Auto it is P2004 "Intake runner stuck open control bank 1". Does this thing have IMRC's like a Mustang?
Any idea what it means? Or what to do about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Mitymerc,

Does this thing have IMRC's like a Mustang?
Yes it does have an IMRC like a Mustang.
Any idea what it means? Or what to do about it?
DTC Code P2004 indicates that the IMRC rod (to the side of the engine closes to the R/H (passenger) side) is not moving when it should be.

Look on the front of the intake manifold for an actuator (4” square), it has 2 metal link rods on it; those rods connect to another lever on the intake itself. You should see some small white bushings at those levers. If you do not, then it is possible that the bushings have broken and the rod has come off, in which case it is in need new bushings and the rod needs to be reinserted.

If on the other hand, the bushings are still there and the rods are still hooked up, then it is possible that you may have a faulty IMRC actuator and it needs to be replaced.

There is also a TSB07-16-17 pertaining to this issue as well.

See if the attached information helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info!!!
Now that I have looked at it in the daylight, I see that 2 of the 3 IMRC bushings have deteriorated.
Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts