Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post on the new forum!!

I'm going to change the fuel filter out on my 2005 Taurus SEL. I have the new filter, just need the fuel clips. Does anyone know off the top of their head which size fuel clips I need and how many I will need? There are two sizes that the store sells for "Ford fuel clips" I just don't want to buy the wrong ones then have to go back to return them.

Any gotchas on this hopefully easy task?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Check in the box, the last time I changed a filter than needed clips, they were included with the filter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Be careful with the clips. The clips that come in the box are not always the right ones. Ford uses a variety of quick release type clips. Some of them are impossible to find so try very carefully to not break them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I change out the fuel filters on my cars, I will start the car, then pop the relay, "roll over relay" in the trunk of the car, and let the car die. That way there is less pressure in the filter when you release the fuel line.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I change out the fuel filters on my cars, I will start the car, then pop the relay, "roll over relay" in the trunk of the car, and let the car die. That way there is less pressure in the filter when you release the fuel line.

Ah yes, very good tip. Anything to minimze fuel spilling all over me is a good thing! :lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
You probably have already changed out the filter, but just in case, look at the fuel line clips. If they are any color other than white, the are probably push to release clips. They are not removed from the fuel line, but just depressed and pull on the line to disengage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought them yesterday from dealer, cost me about $13 for a pair (found that outrageous, but anyway). They are white in color and look fragile to me. If I get time I'll post a picture later, I have them in the trunk but I'm at work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought an AC Delco fuel filter for $11 from the auto parts store, and it came with two clips. Auto parts stores sell extra clips, usually a pack of 4 runs about $4. FYI...

·
Registered
248 Posts
That looks like the old style FG-800 filter. On that particular one, you did have to remove the clips, but new ones came with the filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the filter part is FG1060, clips look like what I have under the car.

I follow a Haynes manual and purchased the clips just in case, 'don't mind the cost.

bought the filter at the dealer, gave the parts guy my vin number and this is what he came up with.

thank you about the tip of pushing them in on the wider tab because I was going to try pushing them out first from the open ends.

That looks like the old style FG-800 filter. On that particular one, you did have to remove the clips, but new ones came with the filter.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
just unplug the inertia switch before you start the car, and crank it over for like 10 seconds. should run the fuel out of the lines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just unplug the inertia switch before you start the car, and crank it over for like 10 seconds. should run the fuel out of the lines.
Oh yeah, btw, my car look a lot longer than 10 seconds to quit running!! The first time with the switch unplugged it ran just fine! I turned it off, tried again, it ran a little rough and I got the check engine light P0191/P1233 (which I presume was related to this), but it still kept going. I rev'd the throttle and it was still running! Turned it off, then turned it on again. This time it went out in about 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I succeeded in break the clips and think I might have found the proper replacements but not sure how to get them into the nipple deal. Do I force it? what a pain in the butt! It is the white clip but doesn't want to slide in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts