·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,275 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have become a little concerned over some auto mechanic shops here locally. Normally they have been quite honest. I took my 05 Ford 500 in for the oil change and was told that my fuel pump was leaking. The pump seems to be operating in a normal fashion other than that. I got prices from $500 to $700. The higher would only install Motocraft ($386). All based labor on removing gas tank when actually the fuel pump is accessed through door under back seat. It seems to me that if the pump is working, the only thing that could cause it to leak (top) is the $1.47 gasket or the hose connection. The rest of the unit is sealed in the tank. What say you?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,275 Posts
An in tank fuel pump is by definition .... in the tank! The exception to that is a system that has a low pressure in tank pump and a high pressure pump mounted closer to the engine.
There will be some short hoses that connect the assembly to the pressure line, the return line and the vent. The attached picture shows a pump/sender assembly. The bottom part is the pump which is inside the tank. And as you said, could be an O ring leak.
And the other possibility of an internal leak. But this causes low fuel pressure. That is not a symptom you are having is it?

Something is getting lost in the communication

Some one that is trained to change oil should be trained to look for things. (leaks would be one) Many of those things they are looking at they have no idea of what is normal or not. How to replace or ???? I would ask them the question show me the leak. Because you are basing a repair on some one else's diagnosis. If leaking it would be at the top of the tank. Most of the time that kind of leak is not visible because the fuel evaporates. You will smell it way before you see it.

Action

Automotive fuel system Auto part

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it seems odd that I can't smell fuel and don't see signs of it on the ground. The stain was on the passenger side of the fuel tank and visible because of the grey poly material that the tanks are made of. I'm going to inspect the system under the back seat for visible leaks or stains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.