Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my 2005 Ford 500 fuel rail sensor. I followed the instructions by using the enclosed grease around the o-ring and reinstalled. Seemed okay but started to smell fuel and checking found that the sensor was leaking.I thought I might not have tightened it enough - and now have complicated the replacement with a stripped bolt. That is not my concern as I will repair that mistake. My question is why the new fuel sensor was leaking in the first place? Does it require a gasket? Should I apply the grease on the entire surface or what?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,275 Posts
Fuel rail sensor - the pressure sensor????
Does it look like the this?

If yes, the blue "O" ring makes the seal. That seal does not need high torque. It just has to have enough torque to keep the blue seal inside the opening. It may be possible to over tighten this piece. If that happens it make for a distort the part body.

The other possibility is foreign material in the opening or around the "O" ring,.

Action
Peripheral Camera accessory Audio equipment Electronic device Gadget

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel rail sensor - the pressure sensor????
Does it look like the this?

If yes, the blue "O" ring makes the seal. That seal does not need high torque. It just has to have enough torque to keep the blue seal inside the opening. It may be possible to over tighten this piece. If that happens it make for a distort the part body.

The other possibility is foreign material in the opening or around the "O" ring,.

Action
View attachment 47941
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is the part in question. I re-threaded the bolts and put electric grease on o-ring and reinstalled. I just snugged the bolts and hope that it doesn't leak. Will know tomorrow.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,275 Posts
Post back either way.

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.