Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas , Trying to tidy the old girl up before winter , repairing some rot on rear arches and would like some new window felts , there seems loads of parts up to 1972 but not much for mine .

What's the best way of finding what if anything form the body crosses over , i do like New old stock over repo ,but as we say over here ,if you have no socks ,how can you pull pull them up .

Not done so many post because car is so dam reliable .

Seems i have won a trophy , never done that before ,Many Thanks .

I love my Ford Swampy .

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Not likely you will get many NOS parts for that ride.
And up until about 5 years ago there wasn't much available in the reproduction world either.
That has changed some as more interest in cars of the 1970s has happened and those owners are looking for replacement parts.

Places to look for seals and weather strips
Rubber the Right way - Ford Car Parts - Classic Ford Parts - Ford Weatherstripping - Ford Rubber Parts
Steele Rubber - Automotive
MACs
E-Bay
Rock Auto

Action

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , i am always on the web mopping up bits foe the fleet .

I will get some photo's of me work when i get me finger out , she will have to come out for winter so me Mustang can get tooked away till next year .

It's a tough life being a LTD in England .

Swampy.

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Big car small island!

Action

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Pics as promised , hard to tell much but it's something to look at, scraped the loose underseal off and wire brushed ,not bad for a nearly 50 year old Chicargo car .Hope you like me dress up had a bit of a last min heat wave so overhauls were out .Last photo re treated with Dinitrol and Waxoyl remember this is a daily driver no Show Queen and winters in wales are Tough. Also the job that i went under for in the first place , made a new rear section exhaust and fitted with new Muffler , hope you like .

Swampy.
IMG_4500.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4506 - Copy.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
You got that cleaned up!!!!

Action

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not going to work on the Car today ,i seem to be struggling eyesight, old age the blues etc.........National News said that the Ford Engine plant in Bridend closed for last time today after 40 years , all that and were going into lock down again , thought i will put a couple of hours in ,no rushing ,take time remember supossed to be learning but also enjoying it .Please note the pictures have been taken over about a week ,the last one is today ,holes had been bogged with filler and it was starting to look a mess , i knew this when i got the car but i am glad that i was right in thinking this is the only rot on the old bus , i dont mind dents but rot has no place on sutch a fine automobile , i cut all rot out then patch up ,all being well only the smallest amount of filler to tidy over weld and finish shape .

Still got to tackle the trailing edge of this wheel arch .

will keep updating if of interest .

I love my LTD Swampy.

IMG_4515 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4515 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4516 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4526 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4527 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4529 - Copy.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
Litlle update for this week , cleaned down front arch and welded up trim holes , trim is missing and dont intend refitting, removed horrid rusty self tappers so should be less chance of dirt trapping ,this Girl has to work hard.

interesting note to members Picture 3 behind splash guard i found this little flap at bottom of heater chamber i think for drainage vacuumed a forest out of there with a hose ,well worth keeping clear.

spent some time making pattern for rear skirt repair ,there are more shapes than i first thought cardboard much easier to work than steel ,if only i lived in Toytown .

Swampy out.

IMG_4532[1].JPG
IMG_4534[1].JPG
IMG_4533[1].JPG
IMG_4535[1].JPG

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got some angle and made a little jig to show me where new panel needs to go ,welded to iner arch and clamped to Chassis , patched up trunk floor where i nicked it with angle grinder, nothing left of inner arch so i thought i will make outer skin and fit temporary releasing the jig to make up inners .
Made a little profile gauge using the doors and checked agaist front fender ,this will help profile the new panel ,the old one was dents and filler .

Spent some time today making a former to hopefully get a nice leading edge on the new panel ,used what was left of old panel and opersite side which is rough and a bit of imagination .

Trunk floor and inner panel looks great,looks like a bit of galvanised going on .

I read somwhere in the manual that the sealer used in the day contains Asbestos ,so be careful what is flying around !😷

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)
Found some pin holes where inner arch sections meet, so more cutting to get back to good material means its been a slow job . Made new repair sections trying to replicate original profile, including tie down holes in trunk,even got the
holes out of line as per original ,is that Sad ? .The picture is looking through the missing valance so you never seen it from that angle .The outer part of the inner arch is very curvy and in a short space so was a pig to form,made three before i got it .
IMG_4552[1].JPG IMG_4554[1].JPG

The New valance" last pic" took me two afternoons to beat out . i needed this in place to make sure inner arch was a proper fit , found a little hole in trunk floor so i will attend to that before final fitment , hope to get some paint on before it goes really cold. ⛄
IMG_4556[1].JPG

I am learning but still need to slow down ,on edge this week for some reason , dont know why ,I work better when the sun is out even though there are no windows in my shed , it has been rainning most of the week .
IMG_4552[1].JPG
IMG_4554[1].JPG
IMG_4556[1].JPG

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope i am not overloading the website with these pictures ?

I will get the hang of it one day .

managed to get some Primer on today .:)

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Pictures are encouraged!!!!
It draws more users to the site which is what we want.

Action

Reactions: Swampy

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
LOL

Action

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited by Moderator)
Last weeks entertainment ,removed old under seal from front arch to reveal old factory black and no nasty suprisses thank God , these Cars must have been made of good steel ,why do the 73 Mustangs get such bad reperts on corrosion ?
IMG_4581[1].JPG
IMG_4582[1].JPG
IMG_4583[1].JPG

After a good prep and clean on went my Epoxy Black for more info on this paint ;

I have no connection to the company but my Pal used it on His restoration with good results !
IMG_4584[1].JPG
IMG_4585[1].JPG

Just when i put the welder away i found i hole in the sill so it had to go !
IMG_4589[1].JPG

Now its cosmetics to make her beautiful again and tomorrow i will seal all the joints as per original using Sikaflex 221 not the 252 ( see Bumper Stop Thread ) .

Swampy Out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts