Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Ford 1979 f100 302 thunderbird
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 ford f100 with a 302 and not to long ago it stopped working checked the oil and it smelled like gas any ideas of what the problem could be its carbureted..

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
Is the fuel pump pressure so high it is forcing the needle open in the carb flooding the engine?
Liquid fuel in the cylinders will leak past the rings.

Just a guess.

Fuel pressure should be in the 6 to 9 psi range for a carb.

Action

· Registered
120 Posts
I have an electric fuel pump that’s right by the gas tank?
This truck would not have come with an electric pump. Not sure why there's one there now. It's possible someone installed a later model engine that couldn't accommodate a mechanical pump. Many electric fuel pumps put out too high of pressure to use with a carburetor. You can get an electric pump that puts out a lower pressure, install a fuel pressure regulator or install a mechanical pump like it originally had. You said it quit running, do you know why?

· Registered
Ford 1979 f100 302 thunderbird
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This truck would not have come with an electric pump. Not sure why there's one there now. It's possible someone installed a later model engine that couldn't accommodate a mechanical pump. Many electric fuel pumps put out too high of pressure to use with a carburetor. You can get an electric pump that puts out a lower pressure, install a fuel pressure regulator or install a mechanical pump like it originally had. You said it quit running, do you know why?
No I don’t know why all I know is that there’s gas in the oil and every time i open the key gas comes out the carburetor adapter it used to be a 4 barrel carb it cranks but don’t turn on

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
The fuel pressure is too high.

Action

· Registered
675 Posts
Yes the oil isn’t its regular thickness it thin now
That's bad. Do not drive this vehicle until you get the fuel pump issue fixed. Someone added that electric fuel pump & it needs a regulator!! Or add the correct mechanical fuel pump back on the engine block.

Change the oil & Motorcraft oil filter ASAP. I would also add a bottle of STP oil treatment at this time....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts