Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...my generator light comes on. If I rev the engine it dims but then brightens again. Could it just be my old junky battery ?
I was looking at the 3G alternator swap on YouTube but the make it look easier than it probably is. Plus alternators don't come with the bracket that I'm not sure I can modify from the generator. Also not sure which alternator to purchase since their are so many types.
I have a 1964 Ford Falcon with a 200 inline six. No power steering, brakes or A/C...Heck...I don't even have a working radio....yet.
So..long story short..how can I tell if my generator is bad and is worth switching over to an alternator..providing I don't screw anything up...

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I would take it to a place lime AutoZone and have the charging system including the battery
It also could be as simple as a loose generator belt
Many years ago i was having a problem with a 53 Chevy and it turned out to be a bad wire on the back of the dash

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Alternators come on nearly full charging even at lower RPM.
Generators are liner. The faster the RPM the more they charge

With that said the warning light works on the basis that 12 volts + on either side of the light the light goes out.
If the generator is not putting enough voltage the light stays on because there is 12 volts on the other side of the light.
If the light dims at higher RPM the generator is functioning. At least to some degree.
However there may be too much resistance or a poor connection in the charging system.
And it is possible the belt is loose for the generator.

Before replacing parts look for the cause.
Having the battery tested or charging system tested is a good first start. (After inspecting wires and cable connections)
That can be done for free at most fast moving parts stores. (O'Reillys, AutoZone or ..)

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The belt is new and super tight as I had a hard time getting it on. I'll get under there today and check for loose or worn wires. I've cleaned everything up on the solenoid and made everything nice and shiny. Also new positive and negative cables. It may be as simple as my old tired battery as I've had to throw it on the trickle charger a few times to bring it up to full charge. I think I'll start there. Its kinda funny that an alternator will only las a few years these days but the generator on the 64 is probably original...which puts it at around 58 years old....

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
I think I'll cut it off and find one that I can actually adjust. Right now the generator is push as close to the engine as it will go.
I agree with Dominick, I have taken out a water pump bearing because I tightened an alternator to tight.

As to alternator life v generator life, in my experience alternators fail due to bearings or diodes. For generators it is brushes.

Generators have a couple of advantages and disadvantages
They are over built so bearings & windings last a very long time.
Does not need a battery to produce power
It is possible to operate the engine on a dead battery if you get the engine started, (Push start)

Action

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New belt an inch longer and now all is good.
Working on headlight buckets...full of hornets nest & mud wasps. Much better now. Waiting on headlight bezels next week to finish the front end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New belt an inch longer and now all is good.
Working on headlight buckets...full of hornets nest & mud wasps. Much better now. Waiting on headlight bezels next week to finish the front end. View attachment 48215 View attachment 48216 View attachment 48217
Still can't figure out why the gas gage still reads empty. Haven't pulled the dash panel yet. Bought it with a brand new gas tank and it looks like everything is hooked up correctly. Plus I pulled the old steering wheel and replaced with a Grant wheel. Horn didn't work before and it still doesn't work. I'm suspecting the relay but not sure how to check it with a ohm meter. Another YouTube video moment...

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Nice job on the bucket!!!!

On the fuel gauge .... the tank is new. How about the sender. Or more specifically the float?

ON the horn. See the hole at nearly the 12 o'clock position? Should be a short copper button sticking out of there. The horn button takes that copper button and ground to the steering wheel. So this is a ground side switch.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Swipped from the internet.

the entire wiring diagram for your car. See page 2 for the horn circuit

Action

Attachments

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job on the bucket!!!!

On the fuel gauge .... the tank is new. How about the sender. Or more specifically the float?

ON the horn. See the hole at nearly the 12 o'clock position? Should be a short copper button sticking out of there. The horn button takes that copper button and ground to the steering wheel. So this is a ground side switch.

Action
The tank and sending unit is new. I think its the wire plugged in the sending unit up to the fuel gage. Or there's a short in the wire somewhere....or the gage itself is bad.
The horn has the little button brush spring. It was there when I removed the wheel and I made sure it was there when I reinstalled the new wheel. I think the horn relay under the hood in front that controls the horns has died. It definitely luiks original.
Thanks...about the buckets....now I need seatbelts...
Are lap belts still legal or do I have to go with over the shoulder crap. This car is no dragster so is not going to see a 3 pt. harness....lol

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
The federal law for seat belts is based on what the vehicle was originally equipped with when built. State law may be different
Action

·
Registered
78 Posts
yea i know the feeling, i cant find a seat reupholstery kit and or correct seat covers for my f. bench seat. i will have to get some custom made for mine because it's a 4door with out a split back. or if i could find a set of 67 ford bucket seats that is in great shape for the price i want to pay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i know the feeling, i cant find a seat reupholstery kit and or correct seat covers for my f. bench seat. i will have to get some custom made for mine because it's a 4door with out a split back. or if i could find a set of 67 ford bucket seats that is in great shape for the price i want to pay.
I didn't like the 375.00 dollar cover price so I did my own with marine grade vinyl. A few YouTube videos later and got it done. I did the back bench but left out the seat so my dogs can come with me to flea markets and swap meets. Even did the metal back speaker area.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts