Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
What !!!!???? That's crazy....considering I'm always removing the battery for one reason or another.
That is news to me. The directions I posted are for Standard Motor Products Blue Streak V35. I dunno if that applies to all replacement units.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
When I owned my 64 Ford, I never polarized the generator when replacing the battery.

I thought it was necessary to polarize the generator one time only when the generator was replaced, Because the generator can create power in either direction.

Action

Reactions: redrag

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
When I owned my 64 Ford, I never polarized the generator when replacing the battery.

I thought it was necessary to polarize the generator one time only when the generator was replaced, Because the generator can create power in either direction.

Action
Thanks action...I took out the generator to have it checked but was told their was nothing wrong with it so I put it back in and fired it up with no problems. But just to be on the safe side I'll polarize from the field to the battery just to play it safe.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
a generator(no matter the voltage) has some residual magnetism in the field coils. if the gen is replaced the fields may not be magnitiezed in the proper direction or at all. polarizing gets them prperly magnitized so the gen will work with the correct polarity. there are no field coils in a regulator. polarizing at the regulator is easy and won'i hurt if you do it even if not necessary

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
Failing to polarize a 6 volt regulator can cause damage to the entire electrical system of a vehicle or machine. If the battery dies, or if the battery or regulator is disconnected from the electrical circuit, the regulator must be polarized before it can turn the engine over again. Polarization matches the electrical memory of the regulator to that of the generator. It may sound complicated, but fortunately polarizing the regulator is an easy job.

Step 1
Locate the volt regulator on your vehicle or machine. It is usually square with five or six terminal screws on its face. It is connected by a positive wire to the generator. (The generator is the first electric motor connected to the positive cable of the battery.)
Step 2
Locate the terminal on the regulator that is marked "A," if your regulator has five terminals. Locate the two terminals marked "B" if your regulator has six terminals.
Clip your jumper wire to your battery terminal. Find the terminal marked "F" (for fuel terminal) on the regulator. Touch the free end of the jumper wire to the "F" terminal twice for less than a second each time. You have now polarized your regulator.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
regulators do NOT need to be polarized. in fact they cannot be. goes to show you google isn't always right

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
the f terminal is for field, and one momentary connection is enough to polarize your generator.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Failing to polarize a 6 volt regulator can cause damage to the entire electrical system of a vehicle or machine. If the battery dies, or if the battery or regulator is disconnected from the electrical circuit, the regulator must be polarized before it can turn the engine over again. Polarization matches the electrical memory of the regulator to that of the generator. It may sound complicated, but fortunately polarizing the regulator is an easy job.

Step 1
Locate the volt regulator on your vehicle or machine. It is usually square with five or six terminal screws on its face. It is connected by a positive wire to the generator. (The generator is the first electric motor connected to the positive cable of the battery.)
Step 2
Locate the terminal on the regulator that is marked "A," if your regulator has five terminals. Locate the two terminals marked "B" if your regulator has six terminals.
Clip your jumper wire to your battery terminal. Find the terminal marked "F" (for fuel terminal) on the regulator. Touch the free end of the jumper wire to the "F" terminal twice for less than a second each time. You have now polarized your regulator.
Yes it really takes seconds to do. Just touch the field wire to the battery terminal screw for a few seconds then attach like you normally would do. At least that's everything I've read to date. Some say every time you disconnect the battery you should repeat the process.....now weather or not that is true is , of course up to debate....what do they say....an ounce of prevention......

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
it won't hurt. but the polarizing is for the generator. i taught auto electrical systems in a junior college for 30 years

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I'm a very old man
and I really don't remember having that problem
way back then
Maybe I just forgot

·
Registered
1963 Falcon Futura convertible v8 4 on the floor
27 Posts
regulators do NOT need to be polarized. in fact they cannot be. goes to show you google isn't always right
Ok. I've learned something today! Then why is it still done? My new voltage regulator do have instructions in the box to polarize it!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
kind of like people still think current flows from pos to neg. they tell you what they think you want to hear, or they just googled it

41 - 60 of 60 Posts