Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you do it. A few years ago the Windstar got these black spots on the front wheels, looks like brake dust that got wet then baked on. I've tried everything I have\can think of (Mothers Mag cleaner, Turtle Wax spray w\wheel brush) and can't get it off. I did pick up some Never dull tonight and that seems to help, but takes an extremely long time. I don't think I dare use a wire brush on them (not the drill kind). By the way this is not on the face of the wheel, no, it's in the nooks and crannies, so on top of not coming off easily it's hard to get at.

The wheel design in question
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6110109.jpg

The gunk
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6110106.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6110107.jpg

After using some never dull
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6110108.jpg

Obviously the Never Dull will work, but I was hoping someone might have a shortcut method.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Detail shops use a wheel acid for badly stained rims. I have used it. It's harsh....smells like battery acid, cuz it basically is, but it will clean the hell out of your wheels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never done this before... But I've got an idea that might work...If they use an acid for wheels @ a detail shop...:idea:Then you might be able to use an oven cleaner to get those stains out..:idea:I think I'm going to try this on mine and use my steamer with it also..

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm not too sure about using the acid, especially so close to the polished parts. The oven cleaner idea is interesting. I may have to try that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your rim appears to be clear coated. If it is and you use the acid or brightener you will be polishing the rims forever more as it will take the clear coat off. I have used baking soda on the backside of aluminum rims on my freightliner. We then polish them. Not sure what it will do with yours, but its a cheap experiment in a hidden spot.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They aren't perfect yet, but they are 100% better.. It started raining, again, so I couldn't get around the lip and everything like I want.

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6120006.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6120007.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6120008.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_P6120009.jpg

I used the baking soda, applied with a toothbrush. Scrubbed a little with the toothbrush, realized that wasn't doing much then reluctantly grabbed a wire brush. Tried it in a small area with very little pressure, realized it wasn't doing any damaged so proceeded. Now I have to do the other two wheels, luckily they won't take half as much scrubbing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts