Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife and I are mid-trip right now, in Rockford, Ill, heading back home manana, with no deadline on the return.

The '04 Monty Premier with 88K miles is flawless so far, but I've noticed rust on the waterpump pulley hub, which is a sure sign of slipping. None of the other pulleys show it. Hope it holds out for another 3K miles.

Economy at mostly 80mph has been about 22, except from one tank of E15(?) in North Platte. That one was 18mpg on flat land, with crosswind. We made the 2000 miles here at 68mph moving average.

Who else is lurking?

GB

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update here. We went from Rockford to Lake Superior at the NW corner of Wisc, then across Minn, ND, and part of Mont to Yellowstone. From there it was across Idaho to Reno. We head south to Surf City today.

The speedo matches the GPS speed, and each tap of the cruise control button changes the speed by 1 mph.

The backside of the serpentine belt drives the water pump, and as noted above, it was slipping. I bought a can of belt dressing, and afterwards read the label: "Do not use on serpentine belts." I sprayed it on the back side, and it may have helped; it's just hard to tell. I noted some slipping on the waterpump pulley on my son's '02 Windster here in Reno, and sprayed it, too. I think I'll change the belt before launching on another 5,000 mile trip.

GB

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arrived home yesterday after 5,000 miles, plus ten days of local miles in Rockford. The car was great. It still has a slight pull to the left sometimes. Our new baby, a one year old Congo African Grey parrot liked the ride just fine. He rode on the top of a cage on the left center seat most of the trip.

All the talk on the prior forum about tranny failures had me uneasy the whole way, calculating if we were within 100 miles AAA+ towing range of a shop. A lot of the time, we weren't. I flushed the tranny per the Ford manual when I first bought the car a year ago, and gave it a dose of Lucas oil for good measure.

Now it's back to local driving for it - less than 500 miles a month.

GB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts