Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is I put the Fairmont wagon springs on the rear, and it does seem to sit higher, so I'm happy with that.

The bad news is, now my car is spewing white smoke out the exhaust. Here's the story. This is a stock 1990 5.0L HO out of a Mustang. Everything was fine, before i did this work. Motor ran great. What i did was i pulled the upper intake and valve covers off because I had some nicer ones to put on. I also removed the accessories to clean them up too, alternator, power steering pump.

I had recently installed what I believe to be a March underdrive kit, and also had recently put a replacement radiator on, but I had driven the car a good distance with them, before doing this other work.

I started the engine to start working power steering fluid through the system. It was blowing white smoke at this time. I remembered that i had not put a new throttle body gasket on when i had swapped it out, and that thing between the throttle body and intake has coolant running through it. I thought that had to be it, so I put a new gasket on, changed the oil and tried again just now. Still blowing white smoke like hell. I really don't see what i could have done to cause this to happen. I don't see how it could suddenly have a head gasket leak or some BS like that. Where else does coolant run near the upper intake or valve covers that it could be coming from? Help!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
that thingy between them is the EGR spacer. it has coolant running through it so the throttle doesn't freeze shut in the winter. you must put either a gasket in there, or make one with blue RTV.
my bad i didn't read further... coolant crosses through the intake itself. the intake gaskets themselves might be it too. you can pull the intake off, and not have to worry about replacing gaskets unless they are the culprit

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i've tried a different EGR spacer and stuff and replaced the throttle body gasket, and added a gasket between the EGR spacer and the upper intake. there wasn't one there before for some reason. I also replaced the upper to lower gasket. That joint was pretty wet when i took it apart, hopefully indicating that its somewhere in the intake and not a head gasket. I planb to try putting my old upper intake back on and see if that helps at all. Then i'll take the lower off and replace those gaskets.

I don't know though. I'm running out of ideas, and the bash is fast approaching. You guys might have to count me out. I'm just so damn frustrated. Why did this have to happen now of all times?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I eliminated another possibility today. I put my old upper intake back on to see if maybe the "new" one i put on was cracked and allowing coolant into the intake air. Started it up... white smoke, bad as ever. So it's not that either. Tomorrow, it'll be the lower intake gaskets.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if it's doing it on start up i just wondered if the intake was wet on the inside. through the ports. if so then it would be above the lower intake. i'm def with pulling the plugs atleast then you'll know what area to look in when you take off the intake to see if the gasket has a bad spot. just my $.02

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, today when i put the other upper on, it didn't start smoking right away. It took a bit to start.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pull your spark plugs and see what they look like.
This will tell you a little bit on where or what cyl. it is leaking into.
I think you intake gaskets are your problem, but with out a compression test...you wont know if its a head gasket.
The best way to tell would be to pressure test the cooling system...If it doesn't hold pressure and there are no visible leaks...then start checking gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts