Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can any one point me in the right direction. I have a 1995 Grand Marquis with 4.6 l engine cranks fine and runs fine but once car gets to operating temperature if you put it in reverse or drive it stalls out unless you hold brake and push gas at same time

·
Super Moderator
12,926 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Need more data -
How many miles?
Is the check engine light working and off?

Maintenance - have the fuel, air filters been replaced recently?
Have the spark plugs, oxygen sensors been replaced recently?

>>>Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
205,000 just bought the car had been sitting for awhile. Don't know about if any maintenance done. No lights because it had a bad battery in it.

·
Super Moderator
12,926 Posts
Likely there is not just one thing. This thread does not fully apply and is a good start.
https://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/bringing-a-car-back-from-the-dead.23025/

You need to bring the vehicle back to fully maintained. Do change all filters and spark plugs and pull codes after the battery is installed and you have 5o miles on it. The PCM will be learning what is normal after the battery is installed.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
596 Posts
Likely there is not just one thing. This thread does not fully apply and is a good start.
https://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/bringing-a-car-back-from-the-dead.23025/

You need to bring the vehicle back to fully maintained. Do change all filters and spark plugs and pull codes after the battery is installed and you have 5o miles on it. The PCM will be learning what is normal after the battery is installed.

>>>>>Action
+1 to Actions post. If the stalling is still there after basic maintenance, it's running too lean most likely from a vacuum leak. I have had a '93 Grand Marquis, but currently have a '94 and 2004 Grand Marquis. On the early to mid 90's models I have found 2 things that contribute to this lean condition. First is the rubber hose that goes from one side of the metal intake manifold to the other. It's quite literally buried in the back. There's a Tee in there to that loves to fall apart.

It cooks on the engine and it's just a passage of time thing that kills this and causes a good vacuum leak.

The second thing is the intake gaskets themselves love to leak on an old high mileage 90's Panther (Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Towncar). You can spray some carb clean when it's running around the intake to cylinder head interface and note any RPM changes. If the RPM's do change, there's a leak.

If you plan on keeping the car, I would just remove the intake and replace any or all hoses that are dying as well as replace the intake gaskets.

Just my 2 cents on having worked on them.

I did a post a while back on fixing up my '94 and going through most of the common engine problems and fixing them. https://www.fordforumsonline.com
/threads/fixing-up-a-used-panther.17489/

It's now very reliable in that I wouldn't hesitate to hop in and drive cross country in it. There's no reason to go into debt on a new car if you're willing to learn and work on an older car.

Good Luck

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Besides the things mentioned above, could be a torque converter that is staying locked up, idle too low, and not to scare you, but I bought a vehicle at an auction once that would start right up and idle but quit as soon as it was shifted into gear. Turns out 6 of the 8 pistons had broken piston rings. Once I overhauled the engine it was fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts