Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow internet Ford lovers! I finally made the venture to find a good forum after what feels like ages of angrily scouring YouTube. Really it all started with rebuilding a 91' F150, that turned into me just wanting to drive, upgrade and maintain any older car I could get my hands on.

I was watching the French Connection last Winter and saw spotted the awesome front grille of a '71 LTD. I actually paused the film right there just to go find out what car that was. My family has almost always driven Fords but this would be my first venture to buy a car that wasn't sold between the siblings or passed down. Not that long after, I instead foraged the whimsical flurry that is FaceBook Marketplace and spotted (albeit later than I wanted) a '78 LTD.

I paid $1,600 for the 78 LTD Landau (in lovely 70's mint green). I'd never owned a V8 before but I've honestly been loving this car to death! I'd never really done my own wrenching until now but I immediately went to work by redoing front brakes (bearing repack, rotors, calipers - the whole deal) and then a brand new fuel tank and pump from Rock Auto. All this time I'd been doing my homework on what makes a 400 sing and more importantly, what makes it sing better! I'm slowly plotting the early retirement of her anemic cam and am scrapping together enough green to rebuild'r (hopefully next year!). That being said, I got impatient and bolted on a Edelbrock Performer intake and carb. Boy did that make a difference from the 2bbl! I thought how much good that did on it's own, so I really can't wait to see what a better cam and heads will feel like.

I don't have pictures to do'r justice yet but beyond a couple harsh MN Winters, she'd managed to be stored pretty healthy for the last 26 yrs. I have some rust to repair - primarily trunk and a couple wheel well edges but it only had 56k when the original owner opted to drive a truck! I do wish they'd left the old girl off the salts but honestly the 4,400lb behemoth made it out well considering the age. I have plenty of questions regarding a lot of random parts and mini-projects for the old girl - so I'm looking forward to chatting it up with ya'll!

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!
With one exception I have never owned a car that did NOT have a V-8!

>>>>>>Action

Reactions: Davy Somers
1 - 3 of 3 Posts