Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Escape XLS 3.0L V6 Auto with 120,000KM on it. Occassionally, it shifts really hard. I have done a fluid change, twice since I've owned it. It has always done this. After reading all the threads about PCM reflash and the transmission problems I was wondering if this is computer problem that a reflash with a revision would fix?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 2003 Escape XLS 3.0L V6 Auto with 120,000KM on it. Occassionally, it shifts really hard. I have done a fluid change, twice since I've owned it. It has always done this. After reading all the threads about PCM reflash and the transmission problems I was wondering if this is computer problem that a reflash with a revision would fix?
You could check with a dealer , but with that many KM on your 2003 and it's always shifted that way I'm not sure I would push my luck . The 09's and 10's have a newly designed 6 speed automatic that Ford is still debugging .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
, but with that many KM on your 2003 and it's always shifted that way I'm not sure I would push my luck . .
Just spitballing as to why it might be doing it or if someone knows of a fix. Are you saying you think it could be making a small problem into a big one with a reflash?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just spitballing as to why it might be doing it or if someone knows of a fix. Are you saying you think it could be making a small problem into a big one with a reflash?
Probably not , but if it's always shifted that way with no problems for that many miles unless it's really over the top and annoying I would be reluctant unless I could be convinced it wouldn't cause any issues . It sure couldn't hurt to discuss it with Ford and other owners of the same year / make .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I say "hard shift", I mean it feels like we ran into something. Again, it is an occassional shift but it has occassionally done this since new; but yes, I have not done any transmission work and I am cautious with this sort of thing. I am thinking preventative maintenance and just wondering if anyone has had some experience with this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
is it the CD4E tranny. maybe you just need to add a tranny cooler?
When you guys say reflash does that me reboot the computer?
What about having the tranny flushed and serviced. I know there are sometimes problems after flushing trannys that have a certain amount of miles on it, but in this case can it create a worse feel?

·
Registered
694 Posts
What about having the tranny flushed and serviced. I know there are sometimes problems after flushing trannys that have a certain amount of miles on it, but in this case can it create a worse feel?
Reflash means to upload updates to the PCM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a CD4E and I have changed the transmission fluid, twice. I don't think I will be doing anything drastic just yet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If your getting a harsh shift at about 40mph,thats pretty normal.My 2002 does it when all the stars are in alignment,meaning that the tran shifts into 4th gear and the CC locks in under light throttle.
You could try disconnecting the battery for about 30 min and erasing the memory.This will wipe out what it has learned about your driving habits so you start from scratch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your getting a harsh shift at about 40mph,thats pretty normal.My 2002 does it when all the stars are in alignment,meaning that the tran shifts into 4th gear and the CC locks in under light throttle.
You could try disconnecting the battery for about 30 min and erasing the memory.This will wipe out what it has learned about your driving habits so you start from scratch.

my wife 02 ecapes dose it at 40 and then at 60 if you go over 60 and let off the gas a bite then .. give it more gas it pops back in ...(60-85mph) is my tranny slipping??? help .. oil level good i think ....do you check it with the motor running or off.... thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my wife 02 ecapes dose it at 40 and then at 60 if you go over 60 and let off the gas a bite then .. give it more gas it pops back in ...(60-85mph) is my tranny slipping??? help .. oil level good i think ....do you check it with the motor running or off.... thanks
The transmission should be hot and you check it with the engine running. Mine was starting to shift hard in all gears and late shifts. I changed the fluid and it cleared it up except for the occassional hard shift as mentioned. I believe there is a post by Boghog on the fluid change.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/ford-escape/455-cd4e-transmission-fluid-change.html

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
it doesn't have to be hot, unless they did away with the cold markings... but it does have to be running when you check it

·
Registered
532 Posts
it doesn't have to be hot, unless they did away with the cold markings... but it does have to be running when you check it
A lot of the new vehicles have done away with the cold markings .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
well then, i retract my previous statement...

·
Registered
532 Posts
well then, i retract my previous statement...
I really wish they hadn't removed the cold markings , since it sure was handy to be able to get an accurate reading cold. I don't know if your aware , but quite a few newer vehicles did away with the transmission dip stick all together. The only way to check is by removing a plug on the transmission just like a manual . I guess manufactures thinking is many people caused more trouble than good using incorrect fluid , over filling and etc .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you know you can always add them to your stick. yeah the plug sucks, but there is a way to install a stick, i just don't remember how...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I really wish they hadn't removed the cold markings , since it sure was handy to be able to get an accurate reading cold. I don't know if your aware , but quite a few newer vehicles did away with the transmission dip stick all together. The only way to check is by removing a plug on the transmission just like a manual . I guess manufactures thinking is many people caused more trouble than good using incorrect fluid , over filling and etc .
Just check the level hot/running like your suppose to and then when cold. It'll be much higher when cold and just make a mental note of the that level.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just check the level hot/running like your suppose to and then when cold. It'll be much higher when cold and just make a mental note of the that level.
I'm pretty sure you meant higher when hot . Only problem some of my mental notes don't stick !:ihih:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys i don't know if this helps out but .. last night i change my oil to Castrol SYNTEC 5W-20.. i drove around town about 80 miles and i notice that my tranny was not poppin in hard... i dont know what's this has to do with my oil change?? i dont know .... but the tarnny is working fine for now i update i a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts