Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
They certainly "look" like FoMoCo.
If you are going to tear them apart, look at the molded foam for the bottom and backs. If they aren't totally destroyed, you might find and Engineering Number cast into the foam. When i did my '64 Sprint Convertible some 30 years ago, I found that the Falcon apparently used '62 T-Bird seat foam with different upholstery covering. The seat foam had the number ---IIRC-- C2SZ-------
You might find some information under the fabric, generally on the back or underside.

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Not sure which model but they are much later than 1964.
The seat back release was not used until late 1960s
Same for head restraint. However that may have been optional earlier.

Action

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure which model but they are much later than 1964.
The seat back release was not used until late 1960s
Same for head restraint. However that may have been optional earlier.

Action
thanks i was told from previous owner thought maybe they where out of a thunderbird but that was over 30+ years ago but i was hoping someone would recognize them

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
They do not look like they are out of full size.
Thunderbird looks about correct

Action

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Now I am not sure the seats are even from a Ford product.

I am killing time in an airport. Just look at a half a dozen Bird seats from the 67 to 77 time period.
All of the seat cover ribbing goes from top to bottom of seat. NOTHING goes from side to side. If the T-Bird has ribbing. Mid-70s has a lot of smooth seating surfaces with buttons
All of the seat back releases are mounted much lower.

Here is a pic of a bench out of a 71 Bird. Notice the ribbing and the seat back lever release.

Action

Vehicle Steering wheel Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i tried to do the same and like you say the pattern of stitching changes in the earliy 70's and i dont see any with that type of chrome ill look and see if there is any tags but i doubt it the bases or bottoms are quite wide

· Registered
1,136 Posts
yea i tried to do the same and like you say the pattern of stitching changes in the earliy 70's and i dont see any with that type of chrome ill look and see if there is any tags but i doubt it the bases or bottoms are quite wide
Hello charles jahnke,

Those seats aside from the stitching pattern are a dead ringer for the factory buckets in both of my 1968 XL's. The side trim and release location are identical.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Car seat cover

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the actual seat cover pattern design itself as any upholstery shop could have made them to the customers desire and deviated from the factory. My other parts XL has some interesting custom covers on them and by interesting I mean ugly.

Cheers

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Bingo!!!

Or the Mercury equivalent may have had the stitching pattern in the other direction because it was Mercury.

Action

Reactions: ms fowler

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Head restraints were optional in the 1960s for a lot of manufacturers in the US

NHTSA mandated that all cars sold after Jan 1, 1969 had to have head restraints. That could be a high back seat or an actual head restraint or called head rest.

Action

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Bingo!!!

Or the Mercury equivalent may have had the stitching pattern in the other direction because it was Mercury.

Action
Hi Action,

Did the Mercury Park Lane (Mercury version of my '68 XL) have bucket seats as an option? I've only seen one '68 Park Lane and I couldn't get close enough to see the interior. I can say it's an odd car. It was a fastback too but had an ugly front end and Cadillac looking tail lamps. I wonder how many Mercury sold....

Cheers

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Full sized Mercs and seat choices
The sport version of Mercury (like Galaxie 500 XL) was Mercury S55. The S55 was only sold in 4 years. The last year S55 was more of a trim scheme. 1962,1963, 1966 and 1967. All S55 models had bucket seats with a floor console and shifter. Could be had in a coupe or convertible only. In 1969 & 1970 Marauder replaced S55 and was the full sized sports model. Buckets were optional. The console was optional as well.

Other full sized Mercs of the 60s
Up to 1967 bucket seats were possible as an option. Limited to two door Monterey and/or Park Lane fast back or convertible. From 68 and later buckets were no longer a choice on these full sized Mercurys. Split bench was the non-bench seat option.

Action

· Registered
359 Posts
Hi Action,

Did the Mercury Park Lane (Mercury version of my '68 XL) have bucket seats as an option? I've only seen one '68 Park Lane and I couldn't get close enough to see the interior. I can say it's an odd car. It was a fastback too but had an ugly front end and Cadillac looking tail lamps. I wonder how many Mercury sold....

Cheers
If the formatting doesn't get all screwed up here is your information. The order is Body Style number, type, price curb weight and units sold
According the Standard catalog of American Cars.... in 1968 sold the following Montclair models:
#54 4 dr sedan 6 passenger $3331 3863 lbs curb wt 7,255 units sold
#57 2 dr hardtop Cpe 6 Pass $3387 3848 lbs 3,497 sold
# 58 4 dr Hardtop Sed 6 Pass $3459 3943 lbs 4008 sold

Park Lane:
#64 4 dr sed 6 passenger $3552 4011 lbs 7008 sold
#65 2 dr5 Conv 6 Pass $3822 4114 lbs 1112 sold
#67 2 dr Hardtop Cpe 6 P $3575 3947 lbs 2584 sold
#68 4 dr Hardtop- Sed 6 Pas $3647 3992 lbs 10, 390

Here is a resource that has a lot of sales brochures and ads:

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
Based on shop manual data Mercury did not produce any bucket seats for model year 1968. Only bench and split bench.

Starting in model year 1969 Mercury produced a two door coupe Marauder. This was the S55 replacement. Some had bench and most had buckets
The bucket shown in this vid has not head restraint. So would be produced before 1-1-1969
The seat back release is high
The chrome goes up the side and wraps around the back of the seat
1969 Mercury Marauder X100 429 V8 at Country Classic Cars - Bing video

Based on all of that, I am in DesertXls camp. Charles has a 68 full sized Ford Galaxie 500 XL bucket seat that has been recovered. With optional head rest.
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL - Denver Showroom #303 Gateway Classic Cars - Bing video

Action

Reactions: ms fowler
1 - 20 of 22 Posts