Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1962 falcon 2dr wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a drive and discovered my front indicators only work when my headlights are off, any first clue I should look for? Thanks

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
For your 1962?

If you mean the parking lights, then that is normal.
If you mean the turn signals do not work when the headlights are on and the turn signal lever is ether to the right or left turn, that is NOT normal

Action

Reactions: pkevins

·
Registered
1962 falcon 2dr wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For your 1962?

If you mean the parking lights, then that is normal.
If you mean the turn signals do not work when the headlights are on and the turn signal lever is ether to the right or left turn, that is NOT normal

Action
Yes they don’t flash when my headlights are on, l will check grounds on weekend.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
If the front indicators come on with the middle position of the head light switch and then go off when the head lights are turned on, then this is normal.
This operation is outlined in the owners manual.

Action

·
Registered
1962 falcon 2dr wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the front indicators come on with the middle position of the head light switch and then go off when the head lights are turned on, then this is normal.

What you have described is how they are working,(correct apparently), I don’t have an owners manual and nothing in my shop manual explains this procedure. I am totally confused as to why this is the way they work, so I don’t have any indicators when I drive at night. Am I missing something?
cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe this will help John.
When headlights are on (2nd position), parking/blinker lights are off, but blinkers will blink when used. That is normal. When the knob is in 1st position, parking lights are on, headlights are off, and blinkers will blink when used.
As Action stated, if your blinkers don't blink with the headlights on (or off), then something is wrong.

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car
Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Car

·
Registered
1962 falcon 2dr wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Action
Sorry I still don’t get why they shouldn’t work when the headlights are on, this means I can’t drive at night?

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Again assuming this is a 1962 model.
The parking lights do not come on when the head lights come on.
This is the way it was made.

The turn signal lights should flash no matter what position the head light switch is in.

Are you saying the turn signals do not blink when the head lights are on and the turn signal lever is moved to the left or right?
Please clarify the situation as the front (non-head light) lamps serve a dual purpose. For turn signals and for parking.

Action

·
Registered
1962 falcon 2dr wagon
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for my tardy response, work gets in the way. Well the problem is solved i rewired the connections on one of the blinker units as the wires are old and cracked so new butt connections were installed. On the drivers side unit i discovered that the bulb socket is the wrong type, as a-result my bulb was jammed in there backwards. So tonight I got to drive home from our local show in the dark safely. Thanks for your information
cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts