Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to chase down why the hidaway headlights are not opening on my 1968 LTD.....put all new hoses in, new headlight switch., have the vacuum coming direct from manifold, have a check valve in place...tried w and w/out the valve., still won't work...but I can hand assist the doors up about 80% of the way., then they will open. Doors will close, but assuming not enough vacuum to open them?...Vacuum canister like brand new and holding vacuum...not sure how much is needed to open the doors., they are kinda heavy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...TY

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Usually that is an indication of a vacuum door motor leak. The vacuum signal used to open those doors is a big signal. The door motor is pretty wide allowing for a big force to move the covers.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Trying to chase down why the hidaway headlights are not opening on my 1968 LTD.....put all new hoses in, new headlight switch., have the vacuum coming direct from manifold, have a check valve in place...tried w and w/out the valve., still won't work...but I can hand assist the doors up about 80% of the way., then they will open. Doors will close, but assuming not enough vacuum to open them?...Vacuum canister like brand new and holding vacuum...not sure how much is needed to open the doors., they are kinda heavy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...TY
I can't remember
Do those doors have bushings on the pivots

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
I can't remember
Do those doors have bushings on the pivots
The answer is no based on Mark III headlight covers
There is a pin that bolts into the assembly and into the cover pivot. If there is a bushing it is part of the cover assembly and is not serviceable.

Action

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have a Mityvac, put it on the line going to the door and pump it to see if you can actuate the door. It should hold vacuum once the motor has actuated. If not, then you have a leak as stated above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue with my ’71 Ranchero. I could not get the actuator rebuilt and did not want to pay $700 online for one. I put in a vacuum pump and they work great now. Headlights

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Wished the OP would have posted back. Only one post, 5 months ago

Action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts