Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove/drop heater box to install new glove box liner. If I disconnect from the firewall under the hood, will that let the heater box drop enough under the dash without removing operating cables?
Thanks

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall having to move the heater box when I replaced mine. I did have to remove the glove box door temporarily.
I called where I bought from and they said heater box had to come out, not able to insert from front. I have tried from front and cannot see how it could fit. Falcon Enterprise liner. Not hard to release box from firewall but I want to find out if liner will go in without rmoving heater box completely, just move out of way.

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
The liner usually is installed from behind the instrument panel.
My neighbor has a 66 Mustang. We replaced the heater core by removing the heater box. Did not have to move the glove box liner out. I do not recall the area being that crowded. And I bet you could replace the liner without moving the box.

However, as part of the job creep initiative, you might remove the box if it has not been out in years. This would give you opportunty to clean out the box. (I have a mild alergy to dust) Flush the heater core. Lube the boden cables. Inspect and check the area for issues. Soft hose ducting, rubber/foam gasket connectors for fresh air and anything else.

Action

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The liner usually is installed from behind the instrument panel.
My neighbor has a 66 Mustang. We replaced the heater core by removing the heater box. Did not have to move the glove box liner out. I do not recall the area being that crowded. And I bet you could replace the liner without moving the box.

However, as part of the job creep initiative, you might remove the box if it has not been out in years. This would give you opportunty to clean out the box. (I have a mild alergy to dust) Flush the heater core. Lube the boden cables. Inspect and check the area for issues. Soft hose ducting, rubber/foam gasket connectors for fresh air and anything else.

Action
Glove box liner was in bad shape, gonna try and remove nuts in engine bay and see if I can get enough room to insert the liner. will definitally do as you suggest, make sure everything is good while there. I took liner to a Mustang shop to compare and they are not even close. Nothing to it but to do it.😊

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
If you can post pictures of that job.
If would be cool to see the progress

Action

· Registered
367 Posts
Since Mustang used the same basic dash, I would expect that the Mustang glove box would "fit", but not be "correct". I think Mustangs located the 4 way flasher inside the glove box. Mustang heater box should be identical to the Falcon one. The only difference being the original was cardboard and the replacements are plastic. Maybe spray something on it to kill the shine and make it flat.

· Registered
172 Posts
I replaced my 64 Falcon liner without touching the heater. It was tricky to get in but if I remember correctly you have to squeeze it flatter than when erected, remove the door and push it in on an angle then once inside fuss with it to get it expanded open. That is if yours is thick cardboard line mine was.

Steve

Reactions: Action

· Registered
90 Posts
I replaced my 64 Falcon liner without touching the heater. It was tricky to get in but if I remember correctly you have to squeeze it flatter than when erected, remove the door and push it in on an angle then once inside fuss with it to get it expanded open. That is if yours is thick cardboard line mine was.

Steve
Yep, that's what I did too.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply's, Got it in, it is thick cardboard, I finally made a cut on seam at top R side and a cut on bottom opposing side where the little tab is on the L side. Bent the R side in a bit at the top and it went right in. Put a bit of glue on the cuts and they don't even show.. Used sharp cutter. Will send pictures when I finish. While liner was out I made sure to clean,lube and make sure heater box working properly. Another health set back but will return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts