Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Ranchero with a 302/C4. I am in the slow process of restoration, and I have many questions. Welcome fellow Ranhero owners, hope to see many of you here.

Papa Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the site!! My dad had a '74 with the Thunderturd (for '74) 429 ,vista cruiser camper shell and side pipes. I liked that trar, but hated riding in it till I was old enough to swing my legs out past the pipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes! I came over from the old site. Hopefully more will come over and we can get some good content.

papa steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice to meet ya papa steve. I'm a current owner of a close-to-restored 1968 Ford Ranchero Fairlane model.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome, I do have a 67 Fairlane Ranchero in my shop, it is my sons, he got it from my father. SO it has been around the place awhile.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
are you going for a complete resto, or a mod resto? I would just start telling people it has the 289 since the 302 didn't come out till 67. it's still close enough, and they won't be able to tell be glancing at it

·
Registered
12 Posts
are you going for a complete resto, or a mod resto? I would just start telling people it has the 289 since the 302 didn't come out till 67. it's still close enough, and they won't be able to tell be glancing at it
I want to do a full resto on mine with all original parts but the prob is it has a conversion engine job. It's got a late model 302 Cobra out of a Mustang. What I was thinking of doing was taking the cobra covers off and replacing them with original covers from a v8 that came with some of the Rancheros back in 1968. If the engine dies out though I hope to have enough cash to just get a stock v6 to put in it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the only real way to tell if it's either a 302 or 289 is by taking the intake off, and looking for the 302 raised in the lifter valley. get the old "Powered By Ford" covers for it, or for fun look for a company that will make the "Ranchero: Powered by ford" ones. like the ones i've seen in comets, thunderbirds, and a couple of other cars...

also instead of a V6, try the 170, or 250 inline 6. even though there was a german V6 from 64- present...

·
Registered
534 Posts
confused

I want to do a full resto on mine with all original parts but the prob is it has a conversion engine job. It's got a late model 302 Cobra out of a Mustang. What I was thinking of doing was taking the cobra covers off and replacing them with original covers from a v8 that came with some of the Rancheros back in 1968. If the engine dies out though I hope to have enough cash to just get a stock v6 to put in it.
you want to do a full resto, but the cobra 5.0,but you want to put a v6 in its place?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
you want to do a full resto, but the cobra 5.0,but you want to put a v6 in its place?????
I'm sorry, but I meant Inline 6. I wish I knew what was originally in it. It just has a late-model v8 in it. I don't know what it had before. I would assume there would be some serious obstacles trying to put a v6 in place of a v8? I'm not doing much as far as full resto goes, but
Im taking it one piece at a time. It's a daily driver first and foremost. But when it comes time to stick in in a garage, that's when I will be thinking about how to deal with the engine.

If I provided my VIN number for the ranchero, could someone reference what it came with?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I provided my VIN number for the ranchero, could someone reference what it came with?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure someone could. I don't have it for your model though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also a 1967 Ranchero owner

Welcome, I do have a 67 Fairlane Ranchero in my shop, it is my sons, he got it from my father. SO it has been around the place awhile.
Mine has been restored with several upgrades that I would like to share if anyone is interested: 3 wire GM alternator, 4 wheel disc brakes with Granada on front and Crown Vic on back and 2000 Mustang master cylinder, powered steering gear, 1974 Ranchero seat, 1968 Galaxie tilt column, '67 Galaxie steering wheel, original in dash A/C (added) with Sanden compressor, gauges added; digital volt, inside/outside temperature, and clock, and motor driven antenna. I am now working on adapting a Saginaw PS pump from an Econoline van. After reading about the Bronco Rock Crawlers using this pump with great success.

·
Registered
534 Posts
hi,would love to see pics and read the story of how you did it. I dont have a ranchero, but I have a 67 Galaxie and could use any new ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
77 Ranchero

Not much going on in the Ranchero place. I am getting a 77 Ranchero road worthy for my father-in-law. I was down to getting the gauges working and discovered the mounting plastic was crumbled down to crud. A real mess. Just wondering if anyone knows where a person might find that particular molded plastic mounting or even the entire instrument cluster. I know this part is probably common to numerous Ford products of the day. Thanks for any help. By the way he actually has 2 more of these beasts he probably would like to move. One other 77 and one 78.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try doing a search on e-bay or even google. It's suprising what you can find. Got an obscure inside door emblem for my 62 Fairlane one day. Mine was missing the insert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Papa Steve, love them ranchero's ,mine is a 69' that i've had for 15 yrs. it was bought by my son in laws g-pa then handed down to his dad then to him and finley to me to restore, it's a roller motoe 302 -.030 overw/ mild cam ,gt-40 heads,holly intake and carb- Hei-dist.w/long tube header's -c-4. blue rolled and pleated seat and door's--black satin paint w/narrow white'sand full moon disk caps [Old school style] Iwill try to get my son to post a pic. on here for me 'I don't know how'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts