Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before the compact Ford was a Maverick, it was a Falcon.
After the Maverick that car line was Fairmont.

,,, almost, the Maverick / Comet and early Granada were basically reformed Falcons just like Iacocca's Mustang.

AFAIH -the Granada began as mid size reformed Falcon architecture and was shifted to Fox Body later - Anyone know? ...

Fairmont beagn the formidable and long production Ford- Fox Body line including all Mustangs through early 90's.

maybe...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 1960 Ranchero with a 66' mustang 289 drive train in it. It was my graduation gift from my grandpa. I'm going to start on restomoding it this year. And I have a 74' Maverick Grabber. Love them both.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
The Ford Falcon platform was the basis for 18 wheel bases.
And a bunch of compact, mid-sized and the sport class of cars. (Mustang/Thunderbird)
Ford used that platform and stretched and played with the wheel base to make many cars.

Mustang was a variation, just not the Falcon replacement
The Falcon, Ford considered this a compact car, was replaced by Maverick and then later Fairmont and Tempo. Finally replaced by Contour and Fusion.
Fairmont was the first Ford compact to use the Fox platform. And that Fox platform was shared by a whole host of FLM car lines.

Granada was originally designed to replace Maverick as a compact car. When it was released for sale in model year 1975 it was instead positioned between Maverick and Torino. Officially became a mid-sized car in model year 1980. Later replaced by LTD II.

Falcon-platform-variants.png

Action

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nice car. Not many of us run the early Falcons at the drag strip, but they are light, and with shock towers removed, enough room to put in a big block. I run a 511 ci. FE engine in ours with nitrous.
Lexan windows, all aluminum engine.
Plenty of room for a small block and turbo's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, going with the turbo is the way to go. Our big block is all aluminum, so it weighs about the same as a small block. Without the nitrous we have run 9.808 in the quarter mile. We have a 250 hp shot of nitrous to use when we need it. 767 hp normally aspirated. 1,017 hp with nitrous. You can make more hp with a turbo if you spend the money to do it right.
P1010488.JPG
P1010484.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There is alot more money up front for a turbo. But, it will pay for itself pretty quick. Less wear and tear on the valvetrain, no bottles to fill, less compression, etc.
I only turn 7200 to make 1500 at the crank and 25lbs of boost so the motor isn't really working. At some point I will make a pull to 40lbs just to see what it will do on e85.

·
Registered
133 Posts
At 40 lbs of boost, I would run a stout engine diaper. At 7200 rpm, pieces fly pretty fast.Our peak hp is at 6600 rpm. being a long stroke big block. I would assume that you have an aftermarket block, crank, rods, piston, etc. Our bore is 4.310 and stroke is 4.375 The Pond aluminum block is reportedly good for 1,800 hp. Our Falcon will not see that much hp. because I am happy with what it has now.
With full nitrous our car should be in the 8 sec. range, which to this old man, is too fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
At 40 lbs of boost, I would run a stout engine diaper. At 7200 rpm, pieces fly pretty fast.Our peak hp is at 6600 rpm. being a long stroke big block. I would assume that you have an aftermarket block, crank, rods, piston, etc. Our bore is 4.310 and stroke is 4.375 The Pond aluminum block is reportedly good for 1,800 hp. Our Falcon will not see that much hp. because I am happy with what it has now.
With full nitrous our car should be in the 8 sec. range, which to this old man, is too fast.
Going to do an oil containment pan underneath. Alot simpler to deal with than a diaper and won't effect the cooling down after a pass.
Yes the motor is all after market. Dart block, billet callies crank and rods, etc. etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like you are doing it the right way.
I know of only one other early Falcon that runs at the drag strip here locally. His ride is street legal and nice looking Falcon. He runs in the mid 11 second range which is very respectable for a street car. He runs a 351 cubic inch small block. When we use nitrous, I think I will do it in the 8th mile.
I would like a younger guy to drive our Falcon all out in the quarter mile, "full nitrous" ., just to see what it will do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks like you are doing it the right way.
I know of only one other early Falcon that runs at the drag strip here locally. His ride is street legal and nice looking Falcon. He runs in the mid 11 second range which is very respectable for a street car. He runs a 351 cubic inch small block. When we use nitrous, I think I will do it in the 8th mile.
I would like a younger guy to drive our Falcon all out in the quarter mile, "full nitrous" ., just to see what it will do.
It ain't hard around here to get a pilot. I bet you won't have a problem to find someone

·
Registered
64 Falcon Sedan Futura, 408 on bags
40 Posts
Well Redding isn’t the farthest but not the closest ha. Going to Shasta in august..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts