Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I do have ford 289 engine, untouched. I want to upgrade it for the maximum HP and adjust it for nitroius oxide .
Any advice on what to do, which parts to replace? Any experience for the nitrous oxide pipng?
Im new to this and need detailed advice please?
I need it suitable for street as well as drag race
thanx
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you are serious about doing this you will need a new, clean sheet to start with. Nitrous is very harsh so you will need to re-manufacture your engine from the bottom up. Truthfully your money would be better spend on a crate engine from Summit, Jegs or some other supplier. Nitrous kits are not that difficult to do depending on what HP you are looking for. You can get a 75HP fogger kit that requires very little machining to the full on 300+kits that require machining the intake and running added fuel lines. With every nitrous set up you need to also have a system to enrich the fuel at the same time. NOX burns very hot and dry so failure to add fuel will result in a melt down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is just my opinion but bottles are for babies.. It has always seemed to be a pretty expensive way to get an increase in HP. Yeah an entire setup may only cost a couple hundred dollars. But when you're replacing rods,bearing & looking for a new block. It turns out to be a pretty expensive solution. You're better off building an engine that will handle the same amount of torque & HP. BTW it's not just the engine that powers the car. You also need a matching trans & rear end... You can have a monster of an engine. But if your trans & differential can't handle the mods. Then you're going no where real fast..

Always remember this one true fact. There is no replacement for displacement.. You can get a small block to put out 7000 RPMs & 500HP if built correctly...

When I used to race my 76 Nova 400 CID(on the street). I'd sometimes race ppl with Nitros. Yeah they'd win. But a few would take up the challenge of car for car & driver for driver..And race again without using the juice. Guess what?? they'd look like they were standing still... Hence the old term cheater juice.

Here is a nice little read for those wanting to build an engine..
Building 289 and 302 Ford Stroker Motors

P.S. I'm sure some here like Nitros. More power to you. as I said. This is just my opinion..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree printman. Have never run an engine on juice and don't plan on it. Have seen some bad ass engines pumping more than 1000HP on pump gas. That's put you in your seat and keep you there power. Now, I do like blowers but that's another topic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Canuck,
I once knew this guy that had about a 79 Pontiac trash can(Trans Am)..He built his Pontiac 400 special to run the cheater juice. He put somewhere around $5000 into the motor & this was back around 1990. % grans got you a lot of motor back then..He finally got it all ready & drove up to the track. very first run he sprayed the motor with his nitros:eek:ut:. BAMMMMM then silence and trail of fluid followed him down the track as he rolled to a stop:yikes:..He just flushed a $5000 motor down the toilet..:mad2:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
blowers are really easy, but the only one i've seen for the 289/302 is from weiand Weiand 77-174FSB-1 - Weiand 174 Powercharger Superchargers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

turbo is another option. the easiest way for you to lower compression? put 302 heads on it. if you need even lower, go 351W...
another thing to do is to get the 3.00inch stroke crank and 5.090 inch rods, you just made a factory 302 out of your 289. that's all there was internally

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Couple friends of mine are running that SC and it is a sweet set up. One guy has it on his 347 powered t bucket. Can you say wheel stander?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Couple friends of mine are running that SC and it is a sweet set up. One guy has it on his 347 powered t bucket. Can you say wheel stander?
that powerful huh? i was debating on weather or not i wanted to go that extreme, but now i will for sure

·
Registered
262 Posts
Going with a super charger you may need to lower your compression ratio...Which normally involves changing head assemblies.If my memory serves me correctly. No more than 8-1 ratio

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
that's why i was thinking 351W heads because it should drop my 302 down to 7.5-1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depends on what yr 351W head. Early ones were similar spec small chamber to 289/302. Later had bigger chambers but smaller ports & valves; in fact was same head (save for head bolt holes) as 302/5.0.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts