Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time post. I recently bought a '98 E250 with the 5.4L. I got it cheap cuz it has an overheating issue. Thought I had it solved through flushing, new thermostat, and air burp and it worked well getting to a jobsite about 4 miles away. It sat for a while and when I started it up and idled for a bit it seemed ok but two blocks later it boiled out at least a third of the water/coolant. I got it home (after a few fills of water on the way), let it cool overnight, and took off the fan and fan box, undid all hoses and back-flushed the radiator and block. The fan clutch seems to work (heat test the spring) and the water pump moves freely. I took the cowling/bell/"whatever you call the shell in the cab" off to degrease the engine and I noticed what's shown in the photos. The intake manifold on the passenger side at the very back does not line up with the lower manifold/block(?). There is a plastic gasket and part of the (block or manifold? IDK which) that comes out from under the manifold and has two holes in it. the far left hole is for a bolt and the hole that is half covered up passes through and out to the block below. This seems to be an intake manifold to a different year block or something. I bought an online Haynes to help but it has barely any photos compared to what I remember from the old books. Google image searches are a mess these days and it seems nobody ever takes photos of the back on an engine anyways. I'm guessing there is a misalignment between the manifold and what's below that is letting air in/water out when hot and under pressure.
Can anyone help me identify what year and engine the manifold belongs to and what year the engine block is?

20210110_160753.jpg

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Is there a calibration number on the engine?
Should be a paper tag glued to the valve cover
That should determine if the engine is correct for your Van

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi and thanx. FYI, this is the first time I've owned and worked on a Ford much less a big ol V8. I have mostly had small inline or pancake 4s and 6s (Midget, Squareback, Cherokee, New Beetle, 09 Malibu,) or 80's land yachts (Bonneville, Delta 88, Caprice). So this big boy is new territory.
There is a big paper tag on the back of the driver side valve cover that is 418 and on each cover a qr code; driver has d02 and passenger has e03. Not sure how the valve cover has anything to due with the version of the intake manifold that doesn't match the block. This engine has had a lot of... interesting... modification. The heater coil has been bypassed, sensors disconnected.. and the mismatch of the manifold/block.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Hi and thanx. There is a big paper tag on the back of the driver side valve cover that is 418 and on each cover a qr code; driver has d02 and passenger has e03.
You probably have to take that number to the dealer

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Read Post #4
They only show one number for right and left
Sounds to me that the gasket needs turned over or flipped to seal

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As to the shop manual, no surprise there. he factory is the only way to go.
1998 Ford Econoline E-Series 150 250 350 Van Service Shop Manual Set Vol 1 & 2 | eBay
I looked at that. Didn't want to dish out that much right now so I came here. I might have to thought if it doesn't pan out.

Image is explained in first post. It's where the intake manifold meets the block on the rear passenger side. You can see an exposed gasket and two holes, one being half covered.

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read Post #4
They only show one number for right and left
Sounds to me that the gasket needs turned over or flipped to seal
Oh.. I didn't see you were talking about the gasket. My bad. I'll check that tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I agree with Action looks to me there is a bolt missing
that may be because the gasket isn't installed correctly

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well let me change directions.. how do I find out what version of intake manifold I have? Cuz to me it looks like it's not the one that belongs on this block but somehow lines up. IE; an earlier or later model.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
Should be a casting or engineering number of the manifold.
If the manifold is plastic, the number will be on a paper tag.
If I had a parts book (I don't for that year) I could find the part number and application.

I have been looking on th enet for a good pic of the manifold. Really have not found one.

Is this a one piece plastic manifold?
Or a two piece mainfold

Action

·
Registered
1998 E250 Econoline 5.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should be a casting or engineering number of the manifold.
If the manifold is plastic, the number will be on a paper tag.
If I had a parts book (I don't for that year) I could find the part number and application.

I have been looking on th enet for a good pic of the manifold. Really have not found one.

Is this a one piece plastic manifold?
Or a two piece mainfold

Action
One piece cast aluminum by the looks. I gotta wait for tomorrow to look for any numbers anywhere. Us southerners aren't used to this kinda cold. LOL

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
I feel your pain. It gets below 50f and that is across the line!

LOL

Action

1 - 17 of 17 Posts