Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this Ford Econoline XLT E150, it is a 5.4L V8 and it has 84,000 miles.. from a lovely older couple. I was looking over the engine and transmission and I noticed this wet area around the tail of the transmission (looks like a gasket area?) Can someone please help me identify what gasket this is or what may be leaking? I would so appreciate that! This is my first time owning a massive vehicle that isn't a small city car.

This image was taken from inside the van, so this is actually the top of the transmission. No problems shifting, and fluid is nice and pink. Any ideas? Or has anyone replaced this or worked on this? Thanks!!

Automotive tire Mammal Steering wheel Steering part Tints and shades

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
I can't see it well
It could be a vent on top of the cace being plugged up
Or it could be a tail housing to case gasket

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Dominick is correct. There is a small round dome in that area and off to one side. It is the transmission vent.
Only air is supposed to come in and go out. There are two reasons fluid (that I can think of) would come out.

The transmission was/is over filled. Check and fill ONLY when fluid is hot
Or the fluid got over heated as it was driven with a load or under conditions where the heated up fluid could not shed enough heat through the cooler. (Towing in OD would be one situation that could happen)

There is a gasket back there where the tail housing bolts to the main housing. It is a rare event for that gasket to leak.

Best approach would be to
Check and if needed fill fluid correctly. Better yet if you do not know how long ago it was changed then do that*
Clean that area with some type of chemical and do not get it into the vent. Then check after 100 miles.

*Recommend servicing every 30,000 to 40,000 miles for that transmission. If the fluid smells burnt on the dip stick change it!

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Dominick is correct. There is a small round dome in that area and off to one side. It is the transmission vent.
Only air is supposed to come in and go out. There are two reasons fluid (that I can think of) would come out.
Thank you all so much for the reply. It has no tow hitch and was used as a handicap van so I don't think there was towing involved.. the older couple only drove it MAYBE 4K miles a year since owning for about 10 years. I will be able to check the fluid tomorrow or tonight and get things fired up and ready to go so I can check the transmission fluid level after about a 15 mile drive. I am wondering how it would have spewed upwards but I will post more pictures along with results of a transmission fluid level check by tomorrow

I have never owned a Ford so I am nervous this could be bad.. but everything shifted so smoothly on the ride home and the fluid is nice and red/pink.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
I have never owned a Ford so I am nervous this could be bad.. but everything shifted so smoothly on the ride home and the fluid is nice and red/pink.
Red/pink fluid is a very good sign!

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red/pink fluid is a very good sign!

Action
Im sorry it took me so long to post this, I had to change the oil among other things!

I checked the dipstick right before I started the van, and it had been sitting cold for a couple days. The transmission fluid was up higher than the dipstick was able to read at that point.. not sure if that is normal..

The picture below is the transmission fluid after the engine had been running for about 3-4 minutes, and I cycled through PRND a couple times..:
Automotive tire Sleeve Wood Hood Vehicle door

I know you have to take the van for about a 10 minute drive to truly test the level, but as I was getting ready to get in the van I checked the stick again and I noticed I had developed air bubbles at about the 5 minute mark:

Hand Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Would it be safe to drive it if these are happening? Could these bubbles be happening/the rear seal be wet because of a suspected overfill? I'm unsure if the brief test I did revealed any information or if it would even be safe to take it out for a drive if thats happening. Thank you all again very much for the help!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
False level readings at engine off or fluid cold are common. Different fluids do different things when heated up.
Bubbles are typically from in correct fluid level. Too low or too high

Action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts