Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My Explorer is about to be obsolete :frown2: Please Help

Problem? I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer edition, Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC 4WD.
I have a bad fuel pressure regulator and can't find a replacement for it.
This regulator is unusual because it has the braided steel fuel line that returns to the the tank attached to the regulator with a irreversible crimp connector. I've looked and looked. I tried the Ford house and I was told it was now defunct (obsolete), they don't even make it anymore. They told me good luck at the junk yard. I know these parts guys at Ford and they've been there forever. They are competent Ford employees.
I need some leads on where to look next. The truck is in great condition and I really like driving it, but I fear those days may be over because of a defunct regulator. Any help or ideas are appreciated and needed.
Thanks d

·
Registered
158 Posts
When my 98 needs one I will use an fittings and hose and adapt to the existing plumbing. Rock auto has the best price. The last time I priced the oem version at Ford it was over $500.00 - 2 years ago.
Specifications - Pressure
Fuel Pump 30-45 psi
Volume 24lbs/hr

Rock auto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1119675,parttype,6124

Found this on e-bay:
Standard Motor Products PR61 Fuel Pressure Regulator: eBay Motors (item 370384090544 end time May-27-10 11:09:22 PDT)

also listed at the summit web site:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1998/make/FORD/model/EXPLORER/Department/Air-Fuel-Delivery/Section/Fuel-Pumps-Regulators/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know you can't get one from ford anymore, or from my supplier, but you might try google search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the input. I decided since my first post to use the Motorcraft regulator that the PC pulled up at O'Reileys. The ratings are the same as the one that came off. Theproblem is that it won't bolt on to the fuel rails mounting holes. The new reulators bolt pattern is about 1" larger so I was going to fab. some metal pieces kinda like motorcycle chain link and first bolt the fab. pieces to the rail and then the regulator to the now wider bolt pattern. What do you think , will it work?
I can use some duct tape or tie wire for good measure. :D Not
Thanks again, d

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you sure they didn't get the one for the 5.0?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wait, you said motorcraft right? what's the part number on it?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Rockauto has them...

KEMPARTS Part # 143217 $48.79
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR61T $59.79
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 158033 $85.79
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR61 $91.89

The hose should come with the new unit, if it doesnt you are buying the wrong part. My online parts catalog says the hose comes with the new regulator.

If the bolt hoes do not align up you also bought the wrong part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if you gave me the FORD part number on your new regulator, i can tell you exactly what vehicle type, and engine it was meant for. I have a HUGE parts catalog in the parts department i work in at a dealership that's been around since 1908

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here is one at O'reilly's From BWD $100.99
BWD - Fuel Pressure Regulator
Part Number: 21861
This part also fits:
Year(s) Make Model Engine
1990-1997 Ford Aerostar V6 - 4.0L vin X 245ci - MFI GAS OHV
V6 - 3.0L vin U 182ci - MFI GAS OHV

1990 Ford Bronco II V6 - 2.9L vin T 177ci - MFI GAS OHV

1991-1998 Ford Explorer V6 - 4.0L vin X 245ci - MFI GAS OHV
V6 - 4.0L vin E 245ci - MFI GAS SOHC

1990-1998 Ford Ranger V6 - 2.9L vin T 177ci - MFI GAS OHV
V6 - 4.0L vin X 245ci - MFI GAS OHV
[Super] V6 - 2.9L vin T 177ci - MFI GAS OHV
[Super] V6 - 4.0L vin X 245ci - MFI GAS OHV

1994-1997 Mazda B4000 V6 - 4.0L vin X 4016cc - MFI GAS OHV

1992-1994 Mazda Navajo [DX] V6 - 4.0L vin X 4016cc - MFI GAS OHV
[LX] V6 - 4.0L vin X 4016cc - MFI GAS OHV

1991-1994 Mazda Navajo [DX] V6 - 4.0L vin X 4016cc - MFI GAS OHV
[LX] V6 - 4.0L vin X 4016cc - MFI GAS OHV

·
Registered
944 Posts
....Theproblem is that it won't bolt on to the fuel rails mounting holes. The new reulators bolt pattern is about 1" larger so I was going to fab. some metal pieces kinda like motorcycle chain link and first bolt the fab. pieces to the rail and then the regulator to the now wider bolt pattern. What do you think , will it work? ...
I know you are just kidding.
Doing a Mickey Mouse job with pressurized fuel is a nono. :nono:
Safety first!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know you are just kidding.
Doing a Mickey Mouse job with pressurized fuel is a nono. :nono:
Safety first!
I respect your knowledge Electro, but My backs against the wall with my Explorer down and the Crankshaft pulley on my wifes Caravan wobbling like it's bout to fall off. Main Bearings, washers, who knows. All I know is I'm an out of work Sparky with two vehicles about to be dead.
Say a prayer for me will ya?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rockauto has them...

KEMPARTS Part # 143217 $48.79
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR61T $59.79
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 158033 $85.79
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PR61 $91.89

The hose should come with the new unit, if it doesnt you are buying the wrong part. My online parts catalog says the hose comes with the new regulator.

If the bolt hoes do not align up you also bought the wrong part.
Hey. bro. Wow did you find the right parts for me? I hope you did. I'm all for doing it right. I've been looking for the better part of two weeks and no luck.
The parts guys I've talked to have pulled up a bunch of pics. and numbers, but nothing I could use. :thumbsup: You guys are really cool.
Thanks and I'll be in touch. Thanks d

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Motorcraft site was down most of the day. Here is the link to Motorcraft/Ford parts by VIN number:
Motorcraft

Yikes!
My 98 uses the same part number.
Here is the correct current Motorcraft part for the 97 SOHC:
Part Name: Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator
Manufactured By: Motorcraft
Part Description: SOHC
Part Number: 9C968 (CM-4841)
Price: $608.05

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you gave me the FORD part number on your new regulator, i can tell you exactly what vehicle type, and engine it was meant for. I have a HUGE parts catalog in the parts department i work in at a dealership that's been around since 1908
Hey Jonzo. The motorcraft number they gave me was a CM4713.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Motorcraft site was down most of the day. Here is the link to Motorcraft/Ford parts by VIN number:
Motorcraft

Yikes!
My 98 uses the same part number.
Here is the correct current Motorcraft part for the 97 SOHC:
Part Name: Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator
Manufactured By: Motorcraft
Part Description: SOHC
Part Number: 9C968 (CM-4841)
Price: $608.05

I'll check it out. Thanks d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Her we go guys.
]I got pictures and some dimensions. :thumbsup:
The bolt holes are 1-5/8" centerline. The outside measurment on the O-ring is a hair shy of 5/8".
Some of the numbering on this part are as follows : 270 kPa, 97J_ (P or F) -9C 968 - AB.
There are some other random numbers, but I think I covered the ones you might can use.
Hope this info will help you guys figure this one out for me.
I also checked out the rockauto parts website and didn't see where any of the units came with the fuel line. :eek:ut:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Remember most part houses show generic pictures. In order to confirm the correct part call or email them and have them open a box.

What ever you bought was wrong if you have to modify it to fit!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.