Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I’m in the right spot I have a 390 where they rebuilt it 20 over mile cam power disc brakes front of Car PS it’s a 1967 Ford Fairlane I’ve been having problems with the new carburetor I just installed the mechanic I brought it aside I don’t think it’s getting enough vacuum for it to run correctly

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Action

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
before blaming the carb, everything else needs to be in line. cam timing. ignition base;mechanical ;and vac. timing. timing (ign) has a huge affect on vacuum

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope I’m in the right spot I have a 390 where they rebuilt it 20 over mile cam power disc brakes front of Car PS it’s a 1967 Ford Fairlane I’ve been having problems with the new carburetor I just installed the mechanic I brought it aside I don’t think it’s getting enough vacuum for it to run correctly
I call Holly they said it could be vacuum Springs go from black to white I will give that a shot tomorrow

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no indication of problem(s) you are having with the carb. What is happening?
I bought it to mechanic and he spent quite a while adjusting everything and he is saying there’s not enough vacuum to open the secondaries but as I found out there’s five different springs for the vacuum secondaries I have to take it apart and see if it’s the black one that’s the heaviest white is the lites he could do it manually

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i believe the secondaries are opened by venturi vacuum which is developed in the carb itself. this is due to the speed of the air moving through. too big carb will cause this problem

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
Did the mechanic adjust the carb on the engine or off of the engine?

Action

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the mechanic adjust the carb on the engine or off of the engine?

Action
He adjusted the carburetor on the car notes and choke Cold idle speed timing everything he did try one thing cut off the air going to the Power break booster in the secondaries open that’s why I assume the spring is too tight because everything is exactly the way it came from the factory

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
if blocking the booster hose changes anything, the booster is bad. fix it before messing with other stuff

·
Registered
535 Posts
The secondaries will only open at high load and wide throttle opening and there is little to no manifold vacuum under heavy throttle. The secondaries shouldn't be opening revving the engine in the shop. Are you testing the secondaries during static revving, or are you on the road in real world driving?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The secondaries will only open at high load and wide throttle opening and there is little to no manifold vacuum under heavy throttle. The secondaries shouldn't be opening revving the engine in the shop. Are you testing the secondaries during static revving, or are you on the road in real world driving?
just got done changing the spring out in for the secondaries I dropped it down two size I cannot believe the difference I can do a burn out and then you can hear or feel the secondaries open up quite a bit of acceleration I’ve had the car three years and it never accelerated like that thanks for everybody’s input

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hy I am Steve. I put a 650 holly street avenger straight from the box never touched it worked fine. Hope this helps about the carburetor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My problem is the car does not run correctly when it’s cold I called an old friend of mine and he asked me what type of points I had in the car I told him I had an electronic ignition I told him I put Pertronix he said did somebody leave the key on he told me to remove that and put in a fireball ignition system I’ll give that a try see if it helps and if I hammer on it the secondary still open my problem is when the engine is cold

1 - 20 of 24 Posts