Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Yesterday some friends dropped by the house for a visit.

They had recently purchased a 2010 Honda Accord. It has daylight driving lights. After a few hours when getting ready to leave the car wouldn't start. At first I suggested that they try the other key, thinking that it might be a miscommunication of their PATS, but nope.

Next I pulled my volt meter... 0.20 volts at the battery!
I couldn't believe it. I checked it against my battery... 12.56 volts.

I put the battery on charge for an hour or so, it started right up, and his alternator was putting out 14.4 volts.

He discovered that he had left his headlights on.

My question is this:
Doesn't Honda have something similar to Ford's Battery Saver Relay?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It could end up being a recall...

another way to fix the problem is after the car has shut off, turn the lights all the way on, and all the way off. GM, and Chrysler has that going on too...
let me know if it does help...

and remember Ford is building vehicles with better quality than anyone else right now...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a brand new car... two months old. I told him to take it to the dealer and ask them if it is supposed to have a battery saver relay and if it is, then it needs to be fixed.

My question is this.
Does a 2010 Honda Accord have a battery saver relay?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the manuals i'm looking at don't seem to have one anywhere. according to my friend, who works at a honda dealership, say's nobody makes such a part. his parts department says the same

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
from what i'm seeing is that only Ford has the system. mercs and linc's of course too, but that's it...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i've been told they should shut off automatically when the car is off
i guess that's what the ones still at the dealership do anyways

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't know about Honda but I think those options are 2 different things.......Battery saver relay and automatic head lamps.
The battery saver relay allows the interior lights/radio/accessories to remain on for a set period of time with the key off until one of the doors are opened.
The auto lamps come on automatically and has a delay option after the engine has been turned off.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Last week I was trying to dry moisture out of my headlight assembly in my '99 crown vic. My headlight switch has different settings.
Turn it to the left of center (which is off) and the lights will come on when the engine is running and there will be a delay before they go off after you get out of the car (similar to the interior lights) the delay is adjustable. (I think this is the timer delay relay)

Turn it to the right of center, and the headlights will go on, and stay on period. Well at least for a few minutes until something senses a drop in battery voltage. (I think this is the battery saver relay)

EDIT:
I didn't have much time, but took a quick look at the owner's manual fuse box diagram. It does not appear to have a timer delay relay, or battery saver relay, it must be integral to the lighting control module.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The headlights on my Focus won't work unless the key is on. They will shut off once you turn the ignition off. Only the running lights will work, and if you leave them on and open the door there is a pretty loud "dinging" letting you know the lights are on.

I'm unfamiliar with the "battery save relay", but shouldn't this new Honda at least have some type of chime?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He took the car to Honda yesterday, but I won't get to speak with him until Monday.
I'm curious, and will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi All,
Yesterday some friends dropped by the house for a visit.

They had recently purchased a 2010 Honda Accord. It has daylight driving lights. After a few hours when getting ready to leave the car wouldn't start. At first I suggested that they try the other key, thinking that it might be a miscommunication of their PATS, but nope.

Next I pulled my volt meter... 0.20 volts at the battery!
I couldn't believe it. I checked it against my battery... 12.56 volts.

I put the battery on charge for an hour or so, it started right up, and his alternator was putting out 14.4 volts.

He discovered that he had left his headlights on.

My question is this:
Doesn't Honda have something similar to Ford's Battery Saver Relay?
Accords ( my sister has a 2005 ) don't have a battery saver ( I was surprised ) and I'm not even sure the battery saver circuits on Ford , GMC and chrysler will shut off the headlights if they are on in the manual position . I noticed several odd things ( to me anyway ) about Accords , one of them allows the floor gear selector to move to D3 from neutral or drive without pushing the button down on the shifter so if I'm not careful I catch myself driving on the highway in 3rd gear . Another thing is the 2005's didn't have the auto headlight on/off option and the dash lights are bright enough even on low it makes one think the head lights are on , so it's easy to drive around town in the dark and forget to turn the lights on . There are other quirks different from american cars , checking the automatic transmission fluid level with the engine off , glove compartment light controlled by head light switch .

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Aparrantly Hondas do not have a battery saver relay or automatically turn off power to the headlights after a delay.

This is a feature that Ford has had in its cars for 12 years or more... kinda sad that Honda even in its current models doesn't have the auto off feature.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well this might not be helpfull, but you should just inform them they screwed up by not having a ford, and promptly show them the closest cliff, where great amusement and joy can be achieved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts