Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks, I'm wondering how I go about hooking up a CB radio to the electrical system in a E350 Club Wagon. Do I connect the wires directly to the battery?

Think it's okay to drill into the doghouse to mount the radio? Screws are less than an inch long...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I would probably use an inline fuse, and tap into the cigar lighter under the dash, rather than run all the way to the battery.

Regarding screwing into the dog house to mount it, that wouldn't be a problem provided that they don't protrude enough that someone can get injured on the screws when the dog house is off, or that they don't mess up any wiring or hoses, etc underneath.

I have had a CB in a number of cars, and I used to keep it under my seat with a cord that I would plug into the cigar lighter socket. When I want to use the CB, I'd throw it up on top of the dash, upside down. It seems, that they always mount the speaker on the bottom, and if the CB is not installed on the celing the speaker would be aimed away from my ears. The most likely place to mount it is on the bottom of the dash, so the speaker is amied at your feet. When throwing it up on the dash, it is closer to my ears, and the sound reflects off of the windshield. I have learned how to read the numbers upside down.

When it is not in use, it is hidden under the seat.

In my crown vic I have one of those all in the mic units. It stinks. It is nice and neat, but the speaker is so small, you have to crank it up, and /or hold it near your ear, or both.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
but all crown vics came with the police fuse block, even though most of the slots weren't used...

i just did the same thing in an E250, the question is, do you have a 2 wire, or a 3? if 3 hook the orange one up to the cigar lighter, the red to the radio posi, and the black can be ground out almost anywhere

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run a 10/11 meter radio in my van. I hook up directly to the battery, using 10 gauge wire, and have it fused at 25 amps. I did not drill through the firewall, but routed the wire through the fenders.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree with all three previous posters I would not hook it directly to the battery.
You could accidently leave it on over night and have a dead battery in the morning. if you have a two wire, hook it to a circuit that is live when the key is on and accessory is live(key turned back). i think the cigarette lighter is a good idea only if you use a plug in like a end for a cell phone charger. that way you dont have to hardwire anything and can disconect anytime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hooked up directly to the battery due to the fact that I am going to add a 300 watt linear amp for the 10 meter band. I used 10 gauge wire, and coming off of the accessory side of the ignition switch probably wouldn't be able to take the amps. Coming directly off of the battery and fused was the easiest way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts