Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rebuild my 1970 302 thats in my 64 fairlane. I have a edelbrock performer aluminum intake and a mild cam gonna have a 600 cfm carb and a c6 trans and my rear end is 3.0 to 1 gearing. I was wanting some opinions on how i can get about 300 hp at the rear wheels on a budget. thanks for the help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless you already have the 600 CFM carb, get a 500 CFM one. If you can turn 6000 RPM and have 90% Volumetric Efficiency the 302 engine will use 471 CFM. The bigger carb will be less responsive/ harder to tune and use more gas. I made the mistake of getting a 750 for my 390 and will soon bite the bullet and get a 600 CFM carb for it. If I can go from 14 MPG to 17 MGP on Premium fuel, it'll pay for itself :lol: Just my humble opinion. Not trying to start a size war.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't really know for sure. was just curious on what you guys would say then find a price i'm thinking 1000 to 1500 but dont know if thats enough, pretty much the cheapest way to get 300 but with quality parts and work, that will last

paso ranchero don't have carb yet thanks for the tip on the 500

·
Registered
262 Posts
don't really know for sure. was just curious on what you guys would say then find a price i'm thinking 1000 to 1500 but dont know if thats enough, pretty much the cheapest way to get 300 but with quality parts and work, that will last

paso ranchero don't have carb yet thanks for the tip on the 500
Change heads & exhaust

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
300 horses need to breathe.Headers and exhaust get the revs up faster.Also eliminating things that rob hp really doesn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
300 horses need to breathe.Headers and exhaust get the revs up faster.Also eliminating things that rob hp really doesn't cost you anything.
Toss that damn A/C out the window.. Are you still running the mechanical fuel pump? If so switch to an elec pump.

·
Registered
890 Posts
are you planning on rebuilding the entire engine? 289 heads on it wil raise compression, 351W heads will raise it. also, if it still has points, swap that out for a dura spark 2 from any late 70's, early 80's fords from the junk yard. duraspark is just as good, if not better than a mallory, or MSD system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes all will be new oh i forgot to mention will be boring it atleast thirty over to start has some small pits in one cylinder

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
car already has no ac or power steering and planning to run electric fuel pump do you guys know where i can find headers that will work its a 70 302 fitting in a 64 fairlane 500 four door 289 car been told about 500 bucks but cant remember where

·
Registered
890 Posts
yes all will be new oh i forgot to mention will be boring it atleast thirty over to start has some small pits in one cylinder
you can make it a 306 stroker, and that will get you close to 340HP.

Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Part Details]
if you use these parts, but it'll be WAY cheaper for you because you have the block. it still uses the standard 302 crank and rods, but bored over .30.

·
Registered
890 Posts
in fact, you already have almost everything you'll need. the E303 cam has the 351W firing order because it is really a modded 351W cam...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cylinder Heads!351 heads take a lot of work. 69 or 70 are what I've used. You have to grind out the egr humps that are cast into them under the valves. Mill about .040 from the surface to maintain compression. A cam lift over 500 will necessitate screw in studs and guide plates so you have to mill about .300 off the stud bosses to accomodate the guide plates and I haven't even mention how much time you'll spent massaging each of the ports. My point is to buy a nice set of heads. You want the thing move more air through it so that starts at the carb and ends at the tail pipe. And after it is all said and done remember it has a small stroke so she won't start to turn on until oh 3200 rpms. So build it to run at 3500 to 6500, put some stall behind it and wind, wind, wind.

Asho77 mentioned the duraspark which is a hot ignition. I couldn't get it to work past 5800 rpms. It just quit winding on my 289. Worked great til about the 5800 rpm range and I shifted at 6800 so it didn't work worth a darn on my engine.

Remember, if you want inexpensive horsepower you get it by cubic inches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are serious about the C6? It's been my experience that C4's can handle 300+ with minor mods, plus MUCH less mass to move and less drag on the drivetrain. Also V6 4R70W's from 98+ Mustangs blot up to any Ford small black, they alone can handle 400+ with overdrive.

A C6 is just a heavy tranny.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts