Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.8L engine died and I have ordered a good used 3.8L engine for my 98 Windstar. Of the good engine; i will be replacing most of the Gaskets which include the Head Gaskets, Intake etc. but, the Auto Parts Stores want to know the date of MFG the vehicle: After or Before Jan 14, 1998. My Questions is: since I won’t know the Date of the MFG Vehicle from which the engine is from. How can I conclude or know the MFG Date of the Engine since the vehicle is not available? I think there should be a serial number or an Identification number on the engine its self where we can look and calculate or conclude the MFG Date of the Engine. Need some guidance/help to figure this out. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. :confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
on the drivers side door panel it will list the date of MFR...

Good luck on your project.. I'm currently taking a break from cleaning my lifters.. 8 down 8 to go. Once those are all clean.. I'll be cleaning out the inside of the block. I can't believe how much carbon build up there is on this engine... If you need any advice.. Just search this forum..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label is located on the left hand valve cover. The label contains, among other information:
  • the engine calibration number.
  • engine build date.
  • the engine plant code.
  • engine code.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My 98 doesn't have that on the valve covers... Maybe they were changed...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I usually find them on the block around the back of the motor, not always, if it is out of the motor check around the whole back of the motor, take the flywheel off if you have too, i know on chevys there back there and i have found fords back there ... just keep looking, and no matter what you should find it on the block, the only part that cant be replaced, heades valve covers, etc. can all be changed, block cant ... know what i mean. so look on the block it whill be there!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ford liked putting it in the back by the oil pan...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think the gasket mfr. is wanting the year for the intake gaskets. The only change I can think of in '98, they went from the one piece double log style intake to the multi-piece ''turtle shell'' intake. Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts