Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that time again, I try to clean the ductwork for our clothes dryer twice a year, and now is as good a time as any.

How do you do it?

I pull my dryer out from the wall, insert my leaf blower so that it blows through the ductwork to the outside forcfully, and then from the outsite I use a wire snake, or a drain snake hooked up to a drill to clear any lint that may have gotten stuck or adhered to the sides of the duct.

My duct runs about 25 feet in all and has two 90 degree bends in it so it may be more challenging than most to clean but this system works well for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just simply disconnect the duct from the wall and clean it with my hands. My dryer is in the garage and the vent is not even a foot away from the outside wall so it is very easy. The leaf blower idea is ingenious, I too love making everyday items do things in which they were not intended. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Poppy, I am a sheet metal guy and several years ago I ran a duct cleaning business. I would disconnect the duct. run a 4" chimney bruch through it, then vacume it out with a shop vac with whatever length of hose was needed. Since you are cleaning it every year you may as well find the heat element and wipe the lent off and blow it out. Last forever..

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Megascape,
Can you post a picture or two of a 4" brush and the cable that you would use to push it through?
That would be great! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mine is all metal pipe to the outside with a short piece of flex tube to that from the dryer. I pay the extra few bucks to my furnace guy to suck it out while he's in there doing my furnace ducts.

EDIT: removed reference to the deleted post above

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys... that was funny for a day, but please edit it out. We don't want someone speed reading through this thread, and miss the point that it was a joke, and endup getting hurt or worse.

Thanks
Poppy

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ok Joe, fixed mine, see reason for edit below post

·
Registered
659 Posts
OK guys... that was funny for a day
Hummm.... So glad I'm NOT the one MissBehavin today..... :rolleyes:

My biggest problem is what....this? And ya don't wanna be puttin it on too quick..... :yikes:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts