Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
How often do you replace your windshield wipers? My truck is only one year old and I have rarely used the wipers. But today as I drove through our first snow of the year, my wipers would not clear the area right in the center of my view. Do I need new wipers already?

·
Registered
487 Posts
They last about a year in Socalif, due to sunlight on the natural rubber in at least some of them. A neighbor bought some new whizbang blades at Costco recently, but I don't find them online. I see prices for 24" ones from about $4 to $16 at RockAuto. Hopefully, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
most of the time i buy cheaper brand like blue corral at freds dollar store
and use rain x on window once month wipers seem to last longer had set last 2years no problem you get what you pay for i am just a thrifty shopper blue corral blades 10.00 set
bottle rain x 3.00 bottle
stovebolt

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
When they wear out I replace them, usually with in 1 year. Since they are rubber they will deteriorate in the sun weather used or not. The wiper part will actually get bent from the pressure of the arms and the heat will set the bend and this can cause a new 1 year old wiper never used to fail.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put triple-edge wipers on my explorer 6 years ago. They are still working well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wiper blades wear out. Simply replace them every year about inspection time (if you have yearly inspections). Or use your birthday.

The next time you plan on buying those $29 wiper blades, ask what kind of warranty they have. And get ready to see a laughing face. Most blades are usually a year old before they even get on the shelf for sale. Buy the house brand and save your money.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Here's a new one I heard the other day. Wiper blades have a shelf life of 6 months. So, if you buy a brand they don't move much of, you maybe be buying wiper blades that are already worn out! Or if you walk into a store and say "hey I didn't know they had wiper blades here", that's probably a red flag. :D

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
I like the flexible wipers, because they are easy to remove snow and ice in the winters (wiper flexes and ice falls off). They are a little more expensive, but they wipe cleaner and seem to last a long time.

I get about 2 years on my Rain-X Latitudes (the new flexible style wipers). The Bosch flexible ones do not last as long (about 11-12 months), and are more expensive than the Rain-X wipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 2008 Taurus X limited SUV.
Got new blades for it.
For the first time in 30 years, I am stumped as to how to replace them. The connectors are huge and really weird.
Looks like a little box with maybe more than one type of clip.
I messed with it, and saw now way for my new bladed to fit.
Ford's website was useless.
Youtube was useless.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
For this 8 1/2 year old thread - annually on my birthday for all drivers. I have 3.
Hobby cars those have a different schedule. Which is not until the rubber falls off because they never see rain, snow or ice.

As to replacement - Most clip in and clip out.
Replacement of the entire blade is needed. Almost no one stocks wiper inserts.

Move the plastic clip to unlock the blade, slide the blade towards the wiper pivot. Then remove the blade from the arm.
Reverse for install except you may not need to move the plastic clip,

>>>>Action

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you buy them at O'Reilly's or Advance auto parts they will put them on for you NC.

Reactions: Action

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Expedition gets them once a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts