Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am the proud owner of a 1972 Galaxie 500. I have a new dash clock I would like to install. I have the 7 volume set of the 1972 Ford Service manuals. There is a section in Volume IV body, page 45-61-01 that has a exploded view of the dash but is very vague in the steps to taking the dash pad off.....

I have pretty much scoured the internet & even been in contact with The Henry Ford Museum & The Ford Motor Company Archives to no avail! Is it that Ford just turned their Service Department technicians loose without instruction or resources? How about the assembly line workers? They get a blessing from a priest & told to get at it & build some cars??

Anyone out there in Ford land have what I am looking for? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Chris Kennedy
1972 Galaxie 500.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Ford Motor Company and the dealerships have no clue at this point. The Company never repaired cars and the dealership don't work on car much older than 10 years. Mostly because customers do not want to pay for high skilled labor on an older car.

The shop manual set of the era was not as good as later models.

I have had the instrument cluster removed from my '71. However it was years ago.
It starts with removing the instrument panel pad if I remember correctly

I will need to look over my ride and post back.

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Ford Motor Company and the dealerships have no clue at this point. The Company never repaired cars and the dealership don't work on car much older than 10 years. Mostly because customers do not want to pay for high skilled labor on an older car.

The shop manual set of the era was not as good as later models.

I have had the instrument cluster removed from my '71. However it was years ago.
It starts with removing the instrument panel pad if I remember correctly

I will need to look over my ride and post back.

Action
I would appreciate anything you may come up with!

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Section 33-50-01 of the shop manual will help. (Volume III)

Remove the instrument cluster - screws on top and screws on bottom
The cluster will be connected to the speedo cable, a wiring harness to printed circuit, a wiring harness to wiper switch, a wiring harness to the head light switch. All of these will have to be disconnected either from the bottom (most likely) or from reaching over the top. I find it easier to remove the pad first.

When the cluster comes out there will be a plastic lens, a metal "mask" and the cluster assembly. The clock has to be inserted into the front of the cluster.

As a side note when I do something like this it is an opportunity to clean up some other things.
Like the speedo & fuel gauge face
I also have some day glo orange paint that I spray on faded indicator needles while everything is masked off.
Treating all plastic parts except the lens - I use Meguirs leather conditioner
Use plastic polish on the lens - like head light polish

Action

Reactions: pkevins

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Section 33-50-01 of the shop manual will help. (Volume III)

Remove the instrument cluster - screws on top and screws on bottom
The cluster will be connected to the speedo cable, a wiring harness to printed circuit, a wiring harness to wiper switch, a wiring harness to the head light switch. All of these will have to be disconnected either from the bottom (most likely) or from reaching over the top. I find it easier to remove the pad first.

When the cluster comes out there will be a plastic lens, a metal "mask" and the cluster assembly. The clock has to be inserted into the front of the cluster.

As a side note when I do something like this it is an opportunity to clean up some other things.
Like the speedo & fuel gauge face
I also have some day glo orange paint that I spray on faded indicator needles while everything is masked off.
Treating all plastic parts except the lens - I use Meguirs leather conditioner
Use plastic polish on the lens - like head light polish

Action
Thank you for your responses! All of what your telling me is the easy part...I am having issues with removing the dash cover(s) to get to the point of removing the dash cluster.

I have an exploded view of the dash assembly BUT it does not list the steps or how to get to the screws, that secure the dash up at the windshield?

Thank you,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I do not know what you mean by dash cover. The word "dash" refers to the collection of parts and panels in front of the driver and front passenger.
I think you mean the instrument panel pad? (See pict. not correct for LTD)
Post back if that is correct.
If it is not take a pic and attach. The show the area or part you are having issues with removing.

Action

s-l1000.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not know what you mean by dash cover. The word "dash" refers to the collection of parts and panels in front of the driver and front passenger.
I think you mean the instrument panel pad? (See pict. not correct for LTD)
Post back if that is correct.
If it is not take a pic and attach. The show the area or part you are having issues with removing.

Action

View attachment 49094

Hello, I am not sure what year Dash you are showing but Mine is a 2 piece assembly. 1971 & 1972 share the same design. It is a two piece design where the upper dash has both hard plastic part over the Speedo Cluster & padded vinyl components on the passenger side.

When I say "Dash Pad" I mean the soft & hard parts that cover the structure. After 40+ years in the Automotive Collision Industry, we have always called the upper dash just that, & weather they were soft, hard or both.

The issue I am having is that, at least the hard plastic upper dash (over the speedo cluster) needs to be removed before I can remove the cluster...I see in the service manual Volume IV 45-61-01 Fig. 1 is what I identify as a 1971-72 Galaxie...even though the manual does NOT identify it as one.

The exploded view shows 3 screws, that enter rearward through the Upper Panel Assembly, which I cant figure out how to access them in order to remove that part of the upper dash, to get to the speedometer cluster to begin with!

Please see the photo & advise?

Regards,
Chris

1972 Galaxie 500 Dash.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
The instrument panel pad will come out in one piece. Both the hard and soft piece as one. If you want to seperate those you will have to do so after it the piece has been removed.

There are a couple of screws below the AC vents on the passenger side
There are a number of screws in front of the instrument cluster
All of the above screws are vertical and screw from down to up

There are a number of screws in the defroster vent ends. A screw driver with a long shaft is needed. A magnetic tip is very useful.
A stubby screw driver is needed for the screws in front of and just above the instrument cluster

I believe this should help

I would shoot pics of mine however it is in storage and with day time temps over 110 degrees, shooting pics and sweating isn't gonna happen

Inked1972 Galaxie 500 Dash_LI.jpg

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Action,

First, I would like to thank you for the time your putting fourth in helping me.

I have removed ALL the lower screws that you highlighted, that was the easy part!. The upper screws that you indicated were accessible through the defrost vents.... after peering down them with a flashlight, I can not see any screws, just the plastic duct work. Even if I did, the placement of the windshield would make it impossible to get a screw driver into the vent, as the extreme angle of the glass prevents that!

As a shot in the dark, I removed the dash vents as well in hopes of seeing screws....just that plastic duct work again.

I continue to be perplexed!

Chris
Defrost 1.jpg Defrost 2.jpg Defrost 3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Is the side closest to you when sitting in the front seat loose?

Does the rear edge move up?

Action

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the side closest to you when sitting in the front seat loose?

Does the rear edge move up?

Action
The front is loose but held firm at the rear edge...I can see where an attempt has been made to lift the edge, as the plastic has a crack from being pulled & prodded on.... I was hoping that there was a flange that that back edge locked strait down into but, evidently, that is not the case

Check the diagram you will see the 4 screws that retain that back edge....I am beginning to think the windshield needs to be pulled to get to them...then I cant imagine all that being required to replace a burnt out dash cluster bulb!!

Thanks,
Chris
Dash Crack.jpg Dash Crack 2.jpg Dash Crack 3.jpg Dash Crack 4.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts